You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Sat Nav Advice Please

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

solomc

Jun 12

solomc says:

Sat Nav Advice Please

On a recent 4 week holiday to Newquay in Cornwall, I realised that a Sat Nav for my motorcycle trips could prove to be a real bonus. I enjoy exploring routes off the beaten track and on a few occasions found road signage to be either absent or poorly positioned, causing me to miss a turn here and there.

It occurred to me that a Sat Nav system that talks me through upcoming junctions could be just what I need to maximise my riding pleasure. I don’t want a screen stuck in front of me all the time, as it seems both unnecessary and potentially distracting.

I have read a little about the Zumo range for motorcyclists, that have a facility to upload a route via a PC and are Bluetooth enabled to allow a headset to be used in the helmet. Do you know if they can be kept in my jacket pocket rather than mounted on the bike, and whether they give detailed enough verbal instructions to use without needing to view the screen? Cheers :roll eyes:

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 September 2012 02:55)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Sat Nav

A Garmin device will need to be in it's proper cradle and wired into the bike if you are using the bluetooth.  This is because the bluetooth will not work without a power suply connected whereas the screen will run off of the battery (For those devices that have batteries - not all do)  Properly mounting it will also allow the device to 'see' the satellites properly.

Having the unit mounted on your bars is not a distraction - you soon get used to it and can ignore it and just listen to the verbal directions if you want to.  If it bothers you that much you can stick something over the screen although it will need to be easily removeable as a Garmin units are operated buy touch-screen.   

Reply to this Topic
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

cheap and nasty

approach is to just use you phone if not bothered with a screen. Multiple apps for smart phones and are a damn site cheaper!

You can either use bluetooth to a headset or good old earphones.

Reply to this Topic
Sameasy

May 12

Sameasy says:

satnav

Another option for you: 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
PerryGPS

May 13

PerryGPS says:

Bike Sat Navs

Hello,

I work for a company called Global GPS and we do specialize in a lot of bike related products.

We are one of the cheapest online for bike GPS systems.

If you wish to purchase from ourselves then as a SPECIAL OFFER, we can offer free delivery with any purchase on bike related products or a free carry case when you purchase a bike sat nav with the use of this promo code: GG789

If i can be of any help at all then do not hesitate to contact me at the office on 01626336007

Perry

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices