Skip to content

Discuss This Optional extras New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Optional extras

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

Optional extras

Perusing the pages of one of Britain's more respectable newspapers (if there is such a thing nowadays), I came across an interesting article on the subject of added extras on modern cars. Apparently the average car driver is fed up with the countless and often useless options available on their car, with nearly 90% saying they wished manufacturers would just go...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (10 September 2012 12:23)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
schnoodle

Sep 12

schnoodle says:

Aftermarket all the way baby!

I've noticed a distinct lack of build quality and distinct hint of gouging with OEM options. Outside of ABS and other options that necessitate a whole new SKU, any bolt on extras are usually offered at better prices and at better build quality by aftermarket suppliers.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Cruise control?

A bit dear when you could just get a "crampbuster" attachment to your grip for (atthe most expensive) £30... Must have a whopping great alternator to generate enough electricity to run all this stuff too. £17 grand worth of equipment aint gonna run on a AA battery now is it? I suppose the BMW is a touring bike though.

The triumph has no excuses. Most of this could be fitted yourself with stuff from fleabay and a minimum of electronics knowhow...

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

ESA is a very useful extra.

Unlike mode switches and slipper clutches. Just learn to use the clutch PROPERLY.

Reply to this Topic
maculopathy

Mar 10

maculopathy says:

??????

If it's optional then who cares ? I fail to see why this should enrage - those who buy into all the gizmos will be the ones that suffer so again who cares ?

Reply to this Topic
ewanhind

Jun 11

ewanhind says:

What's the problem here?

I fail to see the problem with optional extras, if you want to go back to basics, don't specify the options. What I object to is having the expensive gizmos included in the base price, meaning the buyer is forced to pay for them, whether they will use them or not. I'm perfectly happy with the system as it is - pay for the basic bike, then pay for the options you actually want/need, don't pay for those you deem unnecessary. Many manufacturers also bundle options together at a discount, e.g. 'Premium' or 'SE' models, again pay the extra is you'll get the benefit, don't if you won't!

Reply to this Topic
busterrabbit

Sep 12

busterrabbit says:

options

This goes back to the days when BMWs and even Mercedes 190s were basic and even came with manual windows, now everything comes with air-con, electric windows etc. etc. 

Buying a new car, or bike, is an exciting thing to do, manufacturers capitalise on this behind the banner of "personalisation", with a list of tempting options usually expressed as "only an extra £x a month".  It's easy to get carried away, but that's down to willpower!  Mini is a classic example, my wife's first Mini One, (list £9995) ended up being £14,538 and our new Mini Cooper D (list £16,180) came out at £21,500.  We knew what we were doing, weren't conned so we're happy.  Some options will have paid for themselves come resale time e.g alloy wheels, others are just a nice to have.

Factory options are extra profit for manufacturers; if a bike/car already has drive by wire and ABS then cruise control and traction control cost a few pounds to add, but will command £00s as options.

In the end if you want them, you pay, if not don't tick the box, simples. 

PS the ESA does make a difference to the RT, very useful on a tourer, probably less so on a sportsbike.

Reply to this Topic
tirechains1

Oct 12

tirechains1 says:

options-optional or not

The automotive industry has been bundling options in packages now for years so that you will be stuck paying for a sunroof and video player just to get the nav system. I may want the ABS brakes on my next bike because I ride in the rain but should I be forced to buy the optional and equally expensive alloy wheels because they come as a "package" ?!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices