You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Best security options

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Best security options

So I'll be getting my first bike on the 26th (2010 Kawasaki ER-6f) and I'm trying to work out what kind of security mechanisms to get, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

The bike will be kept overnight in a locked compound (I live in a block of flats, car park accessed via RFID fob) where there's a ground anchor & plenty of big metal U-shaped bicycle lock posts.

The bike has no tracker/immobiliser/locks etc with it.

I'm currently thinking I'm going to get a 16mm (at least) chain, but have no idea which one.
I've also considered disk-locks but have been warned against them by people who have attempted to ride off with one still attached.

So, MCN dwellers, please hit me up with some knowledge. What security devices do you employ and/or recommend? Are immobilisers/trackers/alarms worth it?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 September 2012 23:31)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

security

Your last question is NO.

You need the almax 19mm series iv with the squire padlock.

Cannot be handcropped.

Ground anchor yes, bicycle posts NO.

Also cover the bike.

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=almax+immobiliser+series+iv&oq=almax+&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l4.0.0.1.593.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1c.fzLe7BoIPrE&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=512fb598185929c7&biw=1440&bih=743

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Best security measure

is probably Big Angry Dave armed with a baseball bat and his pet rottweiler.

Failing that, a big solid chain, with the bike (preferably by the frame) tied to a solid object. As far as possible, try to keep the chain above ground level - this denies a thief leverage on bolt cutters.

I'm not a believer in disc locks to be honest - it can still be lifted into a van.

Alarms - no-one pays attention to them anymore, so not worth it IMO. Immobilisers will prevent a bike being started, but thats no help if the thieves push it along using mopeds; they'll still have it. Immobilisers can be a ball-ache if they fail (bike won't start).

Trackers can help recover a bike (if the Police do their job), about £300 fitted and £100 annual subscription IIRC.

I use 2 Squire chains (end to end for length), £140 each from Halfords and the factory fitted immobiliser thats on my bike.

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Combinations?

So assuming I definitely get a chain (Almax/Squire/etc) and chain it through the frame to an immobile object while it's at home, would a disc lock also be beneficial then? I suspect that the higher the number of security measures, the more likely a thief is to not even start and just move on?

Since I'll also want some form of protection while I'm out and about, the disc lock would prove handy if I were to say, park outside my office window (saves lugging a heft chain around too), no? I mean, as you say, it wouldn't stop anyone picking it up and shoving it in a van, but since I'm sat 30ft from the door and it'll be in daylight on a busy street...

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

security

I`ve seen video`s of masked men taking/lifting a motorcycle into a sound proof van in 30seconds.

I`ve read of thieves using two heavy duty skateboards one for each wheel and a van around the corner. 

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Security

Most bikes are stolen from the owners home (Around 80% I believe)  So a good solid chain like the one suggested by Jaffa is your best bet.  A cover is worthwhile too - not only to keep prying eyes off your bike but also as protection from the elements.  Alarms are more trouble than they are worth and rarely prevent theft - although they are good at draining your battery :-)   

Don't bother with a disc lock.  A lot of stolen bikes are lifted into the back of a van, often with alarms wailing, and therefore there is little protection offered by disc locks or even steering locks.  Although, as your bike has one anyway, I would always use the steerring lock.  

Unfortunately your throrey of the more security the better often does not pan out in the real world.  If it takes you half an hour to secure or unsecure your bike every time you want to use it then you'll soon start cutting corners and not using all the devices.    

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

Good point.

Spending half an hour in the morning uncovering, unchaining, unlocking my bike doesn't sound that appealing.

So basically, beefy chain and a good cover are the recommendations?

Cheers for the comments!

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Security

"So basically, beefy chain and a good cover are the recommendations?"

Yes, but if you live in a particularly dodgy area I'd also chain a big, starving dog to your bike overnight :lol: 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices