Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Will the new motorcycling licence laws be good for motorcycling? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Will the new motorcycling licence laws be good for motorcycling?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Will the new motorcycling licence laws be good for motorcycling?

Motorcycling licence laws are due to be changed yet again in January 2013 and motorcyclists starting at the age of 17 could potentially have to take three separate motorcycle tests before they're allowed to ride an unrestricted motorcycle on the road. This is what the new laws mean: Anybody under the age of 19 and at least 17 years old must pass a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 September 2012 15:07)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
parris

May 10

parris says:

Your GrandMa the Nanny State

This sux big time. It gets worse my Uk friends. 

In OZ, it starts like this and gets worse. Also quit complaining its unfair because cars don't have this problem. The reason I say this is because in the biggest Naanny state in the world OZ madce it nice an fair and that means now it sux for everyone car and bike. Young drivers of cars can't drive turbos or V8s, certain power to weight ratios etc etc etc. 

The good news is that Yamaha has brought out a 600cc bike that has throttle that can only move about one centimetre thus restricting the power. It take about 30 mins to file off the the arm that restricts the movement. I am sure other manufacturers will have power limiters like this that can easily be gotten around.

I remember filling out twenty question multiple choice exam using pencil and you didn't have to get 100 percent to pass I don't think if I remember rightly.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
matthewdaytona

Feb 12

Not Good!

This is going to do nothing to help bikers 'be safer'. Its just a con to get bikers off the road!
I myslef am on the 33bhp restriction period, passed my test first time and had 2 years on a 125 before hand. So how come someone my age can now go up to 47bhp?
They have yet to do anything about actually policing the restriction on motorcycles. Many of my friends have taken the 33bhp restrictor out of their 600's and no-one is any the wiser.
One of my friends even got pulled over by a copper on a restricted licence with a full power 600 and walked away with no convictions at all!
How do they expect the law to work when they hold no information about the bikes restriction, and apparently now even the certificate doesnt mean anything!
Even still 3 tests to ride a bike of full power at the age of 24? seems a little too much. Maybe they ought to make people do the safety day with the police or something. you learn alot more in that than what you do on a test.

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

You're all tired of..........

.....................hearing this from me but.

90% of members here voted Li/Lab/Con at the last General Election.

DON'T MOAN HERE if you did.

YOU voted the bastards in.

YOU take what's coming.

If you don't like the European dictatorship then vote UKIP or stop your whining.

Reply to this Topic
davethornton

Jul 06

davethornton says:

ok so all new bike riders are to be subject to power restrictions from passing their test so when is this going to be introduced for car drivers at this time you can pass your car test at 17 years old and drive any car you like if you are insured!!!

Reply to this Topic
panmanPete

Aug 10

panmanPete says:

What about cars????

This is another unfair, discriminatory blunt approach. It would be slightly more palatable if car drivers had the SAME sort of restrictions!! How many times do we all see teenagers and young 20 year olds in powerful BMWs/Fords etc or miscellaneous sports hatchbacks.....all the flippin time! Yesterday evening I saw another crash due to inattention between 2 cars. Why are 4 wheel users deemed safer than 2 wheelers when the evidence (from insurance) is the opposite! I suggest 16 -19 year olds are restricted to a 1.0 litre car with less than 50BHP. Then they pass a 2nd test at 19 or after 2 years, to drive up to 1.6 litres and 90BHP, then they take a 3rd test after another 2 years to drive unlimited cars after they reach the age of 25. sadly my idea will NEVER see the light of day cos it would affect so many people and be seen as disciminatory and bad for business - and so is this latest flippin bike change! But then the facts and plain old common sense have never got in the way of misguided UK/European changes! Rant over.....

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

piroflipi

what a load of bollocks,your right about the euro laws, but..UKLIP have no clue on any other issue,  the main three governing parties are basicaly the same, but thats life, 

Reply to this Topic
smoegen

Mar 09

smoegen says:

We have these laws in Sweden, and they are not doing any good... A lot of young people over are not even trying to take a B-liscense anymore because its to complicated and expensive..

I do belive that the suits in Brussels are trying to keep the roads safe and reach their pollution goals simply by making it to complicated for the citizens to obtain a liscense...

Drive fast and careful..

S

Reply to this Topic
Histy

Sep 10

Histy says:

They never cease to amaze me

I still don’t understand why we have to take 1 test off road in KPH and a second test on the road in MPH? we are in the UK aren’t we, we don’t use KPH! Would not surprise me if they said and the test will be conduced in French also to comply with their EU rules lol.

Why would anyone pay for training to pass a test more than once? Can you not ride a 125cc @ 17 on a cbt anyway? That last for two years. I’m a motorcycle instructor and just have to get on with it but its good that many agree.

The nuters that want to do 100mph everywhere and crash as a result will still do the same no matter what test they have taken? Give them some roads to do it on, Isle of Man seem to manage. Might even stop them speeding through the villages with kids playing on the street where it matters. If they crash in a field only a danger to themselves and the sheep!

Reply to this Topic
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

That's a lovely sentiment...

...piroflip, but it just doesn't work like that ;-) Until we start getting proper proportional representation then your little lobby group will remain just that.  If you live in a safe seat area, where people don't care about Europe or Motorbikes, then the likes of UKIP will never make any sort of dent at all, EVER!

Reply to this Topic
exsup

Jun 06

exsup says:

Fast Car

So why bikes and not cars. I just cant get my head around this you are restricted on what bike you can ride yet a 17 year old can pass his car test buy any car he wants only limited by insurance race around the country lanes like they do around here and end up killing himself and his passengers but this is acceptable. Every Monday morning  I can drive around here and find cars upside down in fields or big holes in hedges because they mostly walk away from these crashes they never get recorded we even did a load of pictures last year and early this year and put them on face book chav season we called it how some of them walked away from the crash is unbelievable.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices