Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Will the new motorcycling licence laws be good for motorcycling? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Will the new motorcycling licence laws be good for motorcycling?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Will the new motorcycling licence laws be good for motorcycling?

Motorcycling licence laws are due to be changed yet again in January 2013 and motorcyclists starting at the age of 17 could potentially have to take three separate motorcycle tests before they're allowed to ride an unrestricted motorcycle on the road. This is what the new laws mean: Anybody under the age of 19 and at least 17 years old must pass a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 September 2012 15:07)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Hatred of motorcycling

The faceless people strike again. There have been those in Brussels whose stated aims have included removing motorcycles from the road, including a former transport commissioner.. and yet again they strike. This is just a thinly veiled attempt to stop people becoming motorcyclists. Skiing is apparently fine as is mountain climbing, despite the fact that these are much more dangerous. It's a bigoted attitude. There again, you don't have to go as far as Brussels to find this. Just talk to most local councilors about motorbikes when they come calling for your vote. I've been amazed a how aggressive they become when you ask about things like bikes using bus lanes.

Reply to this Topic
exsup

Jun 06

exsup says:

Demo

Why cant MCN do another demo this time in the middle of London where our muppet PM is.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Nice to see the law being applied evenly to us again. You don't see this discriminative action being taken against car drivers, now do you? The motoring lobby groups would be up in arms. I have no doubt that the government will trot out the usual massaged figures for killed and seriously injured statistics as a means to justify what is clearly a biased approach to "road safety". I note that the figures for young car drivers between the ages of 17 and 25 are appalling, yet nothing seems to be done about it, other than wafty occasional bits of campaigns in the media, which are as impactive as a gnat on the front of a train!

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

All these new laws are nothing to do with our government  , it"s  the E.U. that wants sorting  . I suppose our  M.P.s could delay  and frustrate  some of the laws that  come here from unelected  ,faceless  foreigners  but  you know our  M.P.s - anything for a quiet  life . No doubt  in years to come the E.U. will split & collapse , but until then we will be  sh*t -on  , after all we are Brits. & are used to it . Most of  "Joe Public " think of us as from another age , biking is a hobby , not  REAL everyday transport ,as most of us have a car , and worst of all - a bunch of eccentrics getting our kicks on bikes instead of a "proper" pastime -football  ,computers  etc.  ! . How many  among us can foresee  bikes & biking  being as it is now ,or even existing  in 30 or 40  years time  ? . I know if  I had to go through these new tests , I simply wouldn"t bother ,no matter what extent my love of motorcycling  .

Reply to this Topic
Lewisboard

Jul 12

Lewisboard says:

i have just passed my restricted test, costing a fortune (my own fault, silly mistakes) i'm 19 been on the road three years and got my arse into gear because i saw the law was changing. it's redicoulous what they are doing as it's been said at 17 you can pass your car test a drive a veyron. they are essentially trying to eliminate a form of transport that if was less seen as a death trap and unsafe could reduce traffic on the road, think how much more free the M25/M11 would be at 9 am in all those people on there own in the car where on motorbikes. its a dream but i'm making a point.

Reply to this Topic
nworbynot

Dec 11

nworbynot says:

last generation

I passed my test in 1976, turned up on a 250 Suzuki with L plates, took and passed the test in about 10 minutes, easy. Consequently loads of teenagers rode around on large engined motorcycles. I'm in my 50s now and see very few riders younger than me probably due to the difficulty in getting a licence. In 25 years time I can see hardly anyone riding bikes as the test is just too expensive and too time consuming.

Reply to this Topic
elder555

Nov 11

elder555 says:

I do see the good side to this theory of gaining licenses for motorcycles, obviously there are huge downsides to it as well though, two of the main ones being the cost factor and age the you can gain a full unrestricted license, but if you look at it from the other side, even with these new laws - someone can jump from 47hp to 200hp bike, for any one that is a huge jump.

As for car drivers, and the difference in law  - I think there should be a review on the way it is done as well, maybe something like a refresher course every 5/10 years ? I know it's a fairly extreme view and for 90% of riders/drivers this is probably not necessary, but you ask any motorcyclist if they have had a car driver pull out in front of them or almost caused them to have an accident and I bet they will all say yes.

Don't get my wrong i think the goverment/EU is going about alot of it the wrong way as well.

This is just my opinion, please don't hate me for it.

Reply to this Topic
Abstract rude

Aug 08

Bad idea

I'm 20 and I work on the service counter in a motorcycle shop, this is an utter joke, there are very few people my age who even ride bikes let alone have full licences. Motorcycling is and will die out and the voice of motorcyclists will get smaller when it comes to things like "should we pay for parking", and what's killing it is the constantly changing tests which are just getting more complicated and more intimidating. (however we still allow muppets to do a 6 hour course and then send them out onto the road with a pat on the back, are you F****** serious!? That's why changing the rules wont help, when these muppets just as well stay on a cbt. The other two things discouraging young riders are one the flood of s***** cheap imported motorcycle miss sold by idiot dealers who have no idea what their doing and don't even check if there is any parts back up. And two the amount of pompous self important advanced riders that have nothing to do but tell you how good their riding is and that their "gold standard" and that it's not about the machine it's about the rider. This sort of attitude is less than helpful. It would be easy to right me off as some idiot that rides like a T**t but then you'd be wrong, because we all ride like t**ts sometimes, but it's all about having a sense of when it's appropriate to be a t**t. If I was 19 now, I wouldn't be bothered to do it, and knowing the about of fun I have on my motorcycle it's a sad thought to think that other people will not have the opportunity because the bell ends at the top who don't know a single thing about living life like a normal person decided it was a good idea to make it as hard as possible, how about someone grows a giant f*****g shrubbery maze outside the houses of parliament and see how they like it.

Reply to this Topic
brevav2

Feb 09

brevav2 says:

All part of the EU's grand plan to phase out motorcycling via incremental legislation, that way they hope apathy will prevail with very little protest, JOIN MAG +the BMF and make your voice heard before its too late!

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

Red tape

Typical red tape shite keeping a bunch of non motorcycling pen pushers in a job.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle