Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Will the new motorcycling licence laws be good for motorcycling? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Will the new motorcycling licence laws be good for motorcycling?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Will the new motorcycling licence laws be good for motorcycling?

Motorcycling licence laws are due to be changed yet again in January 2013 and motorcyclists starting at the age of 17 could potentially have to take three separate motorcycle tests before they're allowed to ride an unrestricted motorcycle on the road. This is what the new laws mean: Anybody under the age of 19 and at least 17 years old must pass a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 September 2012 15:07)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kando

May 11

Kando says:

Too expensive

How are people expected to pay for three bike tests and the lessons to go with them, especially when under the age of 25. It will end up costing thousands of pounds by the time you get to ride a big bore bike. (Can see this putting huge amounts of people off, no doubt this is the long term plan to phase bikes out)

On top of this why is it still okay for a 17 year old to theoretically jump straight into a 1000bhp Bugati Veyron the day he passes his test, after riding nothing more than a nissan micra!!?? Massive bias against bikers yet again.

The third annoying thing is that if you fall off / crash a bike your only likly to hurt / kill yourself. Crash a car and you will likely injure / kill the other people involved. With this fact in mind why is it bikers who keep getting targeted? I dont see car drivers doing swerve tests at DVLA test centres either.

Bikes are mostly a lot more enviromentally friendly than cars to. The government should be promoting it to keep down conjestion not promoting a witch hunt. Ahh rant over... Whats coming next??

Reply to this Topic
oily1984

Mar 09

oily1984 says:

Kando, bob on. In principle I can agree with more rigourous trainning and testing but, for all road users not just bikes. On a side note looking at insurance I can't see biking dying anytime soon but EU are doing the best they can citing safety although more people die falling from windows than on the roads in the UK surely this is a far more pressing concern? Everyone has too face the terifying ordeal that is a window everyday and nothing has been done! Also the green arguement is a load of bull, the underlying science is largely unproven and probably only promoted so much as tax can be levied.

Aha, so that's why they don't care about windows.

Reply to this Topic
Rustum

Sep 12

Rustum says:

Right approach

There is a reason why insurance is more expensive for under 25 year old. It's because they are involved in more crashes. Inexperienced rider go into corners faster don;t know how to brake correctly (these are thing you only learn with experience) Most kids I see on mopeds drive without caring for other road users and their own safety. Now imagine these kids at 19 riding a 600cc 100+bhp bike they will not just get themselves killed but also put in harms way other road users. Also there are a few comments on how are kids supposed to pay for this, well they still do have an option to ride a 125CC bike till they can affrod to pay for a mod 1 an mod 2 at 21. If they want to ride soemthing more powerfull at 19 they need to find the money to do so.

British bikers are one of the saftest bikers in the world and it is due to our rigrious licence testing process. I wish they had more rigrious licence testing processes for young car drivers as well.

Sorry not to have agreed with most of the comments here.

Ride Safe!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Wrong.

The pants the examiner is wearing are wrong.

Very, very wrong.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Not Swine

@ Rogerborg – “I can't be arsed typing it all again, it's pearls before swine anyway.”

Hey now, please do not insult the swine.

(Yeah, I hate most of you too.)

Reply to this Topic
Ian610

Sep 12

Ian610 says:

It's a joke!

Of course they won't! Making people jump through more hoops to achieve the end result, will just put them off motorcycling. I found the stress of having to do mod 1 and 2 enough, let alone having to go through three stages of testing. It's just another money making scheme for the Eurocrats, related governments and appointed agencies (DSA). Travelling by bike has been proven to reduce traffic and emissions, so why aren't they promoting it? MONEY! It's pathetic how car drivers don't have to endure anywhere near the restrictions set upon ourselves. They're trying their damned hardest to kill the industry off as we know it!

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

joke

What a frigin joke. Why are they not doing the same to young car drivers, Who kill more inoccent people than anyother age group.

A young driver can pass thier test and drive  the most powerful production car straight away, with no restrictions what so ever .

Its about time this country stuck two fingers up to europe

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Thats....

Boris Johnson I Swear it is. PS... Piglet I Love you.(and Hog roasts)

Reply to this Topic
ryanwalls924

Sep 12

ryanwalls924 says:

This is wrong

I cant see how making you jump through more hoops, at your own expense I might add, can be benificial for the industry!

Secondly I feel this will have a detremental effect to uk bike sales, having a proportion of bigger bike sales removed just on the basis of age.

I also think the restictions are a joke considering at 17 I could pass my car test and jump straight into 500+ bhp mercedes or BMW.

This is beyond funny now when are they going to leave us bikers alone. Theres only so much people are willing to do to get on and around on two wheels and these changes might just be the straw that broke the camels back.

Reply to this Topic
alilowson

Aug 02

alilowson says:

makes no difference

I'll just say to any people who doesn't have a full motorbike licence...do it, do it now. I'd pay for my licence 10 times over if I had to. That's because riding a bike is more that just a mode of transport. So let all the "Powers that be" roll out all the shit-istics or throw as many tests in the way as they want because when you hit that road, every last penny spent getting there was worth it.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices