Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

Last Sunday I rode from my home near Exeter to my in-laws' house in Birmingham. I must have passed over 100 bikes but, despite my cheery waves, only received half a dozen or so nods in return. What's wrong with bikers these days; why does hardly anyone wave anymore?  Your answer could help. The best will be printed in next week's MCN,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 September 2012 15:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

ahh BMW riders....

Try standing on yer pegs and extending yer right arm as far as you can, with yer middle finger fully raised, about two inches from their flip lid covered faces.......As for the ones that are not covered in Hi Viz and blue lights..... just ignore them.

Reply to this Topic
barnowl95

Jun 12

barnowl95 says:

Just recently passed my test ( the other day) and i nod at everyone i see, even the scooters as i see it, if you're on two wheels its better than four, annoys me when bikers with shiny bikes and new leathers don't nod, a bike is for riding not polishing and posing, can't wait to get a bigger bike after a while

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

I have a theory....

I reckon that if you both nod at the same time you will both assume that the other didn't nod...... I also find that nodding to moped and scooter riders makes them wobble.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

More fun can be had with.....

Old people in Skoda's.... if you nod to them, they nod back, which makes their caps fall in front of their eyes and they rear end the car they are following.

Reply to this Topic
nicktaylor7

Sep 12

nicktaylor7 says:

I nod and wave...

depends upon my mood, but every motorcycle i see gets a nod at least. passed a new shiny r6 on the way home, i nodded and he didnt believe i existed. I get that a lot from sportsbike riders, too busy fuelling their biaggi shaped ego's, not taking time to relish in what biking is; a passion, a brotherhood with invisible bonds, a common intrest thousands of people 'choose'. thats what biking is, a choice, 4 wheels may move the body, but 2 wheels defiantly moves the soul.

Reply to this Topic
q1w2e3r

Jun 12

q1w2e3r says:

Harley rider

I nod or raise a hand to every bike I see. It's surprising that many riders don't return the nod. When I rode a Triumph or Honda virtuly everyone returned the nod.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

also....

When approaching a charity ride-out don't try to nod to every bike as you will probably give yourself a brain hemorrhage.

Reply to this Topic
VincentB

Sep 12

VincentB says:

I nod to near enough every biker except the ones I see as dangerous or yobs. However you look like an idiot nodding to a group of bikers larger than 3 so I do a little wave sort of thing like Americans do.

Reply to this Topic
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

Breaking the language barrier..

After a few thousand miles riding in France this year I have to say French bikers are much more likely to acknowledge you than British bikers. This includes while passing on the other side of a motorway for some, or while leaning the bike at some impressive angles for others. They always give a wave or nod regardless. (I even saw a guy nearly bin it after an over enthusiastic wave!) I always find it a bit disappointing coming back over the British channel but continue to nod or wave anyway. The trouble is after a while you get fed up of not getting nods back so I sometimes wonder why I bother.

Reply to this Topic
markinnormy

Jan 09

markinnormy says:

Rainy days

I always get a nod whilst commuting in the piss pouring rain. This is because only the committed nutters are out, whilst all the Harleys and Super toys are all parked up in the dry.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices