Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

Last Sunday I rode from my home near Exeter to my in-laws' house in Birmingham. I must have passed over 100 bikes but, despite my cheery waves, only received half a dozen or so nods in return. What's wrong with bikers these days; why does hardly anyone wave anymore?  Your answer could help. The best will be printed in next week's MCN,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 September 2012 15:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

Hmmmm

I think your right urbanfireblade. If I'm on the dirt bike riding to the green lanes I never get nodded. The Blackbird on the other hand seems to carry more cred. Have bikers really become snobs??

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Hmmm...

I have another theory.... I reckon that with the trend for Texting this form of communication will die out soon.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Jeees I love this subject....

Urbanfireblade.... Next time you see a Vespa rider, try.... Shaking your head. That'll piss em off.

Reply to this Topic
Carlosoul

Jul 08

Carlosoul says:

I nod all the time...

and dont care if others dont nod back but they usually do. I dont do in town as you would be nodding constantly but out in the country lanes it should be law :)   Biker brothers unite!

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Nah

fcuk you all......:wink::biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
gavinfdavies

Aug 09

gavinfdavies says:

I get carried away...

I do about 30,000 a year. That's alot of nods! The problem is, the nodding reflex is so well ingrained that I find my self nodding when I'm driving the other half's car, when I'm walking and see a bike, when I see a classic car, or anything else vaguely unusual. The other week I found myself nodding at a guy driving an ancient tractor. I think I need to see a doctor! (or maybe The Doctor!)

Oh, and I ride a Ducati 999!

Reply to this Topic
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

The future of the nod..

In the future bikers won't nod at each other, the bike will take care of this for you. By the time you see another bike, your machine will already know that bikes proximity, approach speed and riding characteristics. An acknowledgement (electronic nod!) will be made between the two vehicles and they will pass each other having safely not crashed into one another. All those nodding neck muscles you spent a lifetime building up will waste away to nothing. As the years pass and you grow older your bike will eventually make the decision that you are not fit to ride and will take over the controls for you, turning you into just a passenger. And then, eventually, after all those years........ will you finally, finally be able to get that sodding knee down!!!

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

gavin d

Strange, but I also nod to bikes when I'm walking to the shops. Could this be 'Obsessive Repetitive Behaviour'? Maybe I should go and see the quack?

Reply to this Topic
snapple

Apr 11

snapple says:

The French

They have got one thing right over in France, the nod\salute!!  I guess the fact that they generally like bikers and even the Gendarme have been known to encourage "naughty" behaviour tends to add to the biker community sprit there.   From my last trip over the channel I was extremely impressed by the number of bikers tearing around the normandy countryside bike cranked over and still managing to give the "v for victory" acknowledgement with their inside hand...  I think they must have a contest to see see who can "get their knuckles down" saying hi!

I tend to say hi to everyone on two wheels, even grumpy Harley riders with skull bandanas on and tassles, I think its wasted on them, though, they just look at you like they think you're an alien...

Maybe the "nod" here is disappearing over here just like manners and etiquette generally, everyone seems to have the attitude of "fuck everyone else" nowadays so that translates onto the roads too... certainly does in cars...

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

slow down chaps... please,

I can't keep up on this subject.... preunit you are a god damned genius, 2 smoke ...you crack me up.... gavinfdavies .... I do the same... 69fastback...thats known as ORB !,snapple.... don't encourage them HD pilots.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices