Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

Last Sunday I rode from my home near Exeter to my in-laws' house in Birmingham. I must have passed over 100 bikes but, despite my cheery waves, only received half a dozen or so nods in return. What's wrong with bikers these days; why does hardly anyone wave anymore?  Your answer could help. The best will be printed in next week's MCN,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 September 2012 15:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bikerchas

Sep 12

Bikerchas says:

Why don't we nod anymore?

I usually nod or wave, but sometimes, depending on what bike is coming towards me, I just raise an eyebrow...not enough?

Reply to this Topic
Bikerchas

Sep 12

Bikerchas says:

Nodding!

The first bike I had (40 years ago - aged17) was a Honda 50 'Step-thru' and on my way to Scarbro bike racing I got a wave from a couple of riders on big British bikes. That made my day and set me on the path to a lifetime love of bikes...so keep it up, you could encourage a new kid!!

Reply to this Topic
69Fastback

Apr 12

69Fastback says:

Bikerchas

Well, they do say: "A nod's as good as a wink". I think It's "A wink", isn't it?

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

Be the changes in the world that you want to see. If you want nod or wave go ahead.Don't do it for a response, do it because it speaks of who you are.

Reply to this Topic
wobblyhead

Apr 10

wobblyhead says:

waving

well it's pretty simple. anytime i used to wave, i'd get no response, which just makes you look like an ass. so then when other people actually wave at you first, or nod, then you've got to hurry up and acknowledge or else you look like an ass. so these days, i just make it a habit to pretend like i don't see other bikers, which still probably makes me look like an ass, but at least i'm a consistent ass.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Wave, not nod.

@ Samar – Same is true here left-pond; most riders that do not wave back are pretend 1%ers on H-D cruisers. However, when I am riding the Elite 110 (Lead 110 in Europe), some of the H-D riders give me the arm raised, palm back, middle finger raised wave (like preunit’s picture).

Sometimes when riding the scooter, I will give cruiser riders wearing land pirate costumes a “hi mom” wave, just to mess with their heads.

Here, almost no one nods, but instead use the palm and first two fingers out low wave (one advantage of riding on the right). Supposedly stands for “on two wheels, on the road”.

@ snev – Well, I can wave without wobbling. Funny thing is more people on proper motorcycles wave back at me when I am on the scooter than other scooter riders.

Reply to this Topic
parris

May 10

parris says:

SuperM

Yeah now that you mention it BMW riders don't nod or wave. I thought it might be because they don't have the capacity to do it. This is to say they aren't super proficient with their bike. It may be an age thing.

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

80% nod back

I always nod (apart from to chavs on scoots and the asian guys on piza bikes) & majority nod back.

Guys (a girls) doing CBT & DAS must love being ackowledged by another bike, and I always get a return nod from plod.

Must admit Hardly Movinson drivers tend not to bother, presume they're hanging on for dear life or don't recognise other makes as real bikes. The odd Sunday superstar on his latest, greatest, 2bhp more than last years model, with all the gear tend to be above it as well.

Biggest problem is what sort of nod, the full nod, or the more subtle sideways nudge???

What the hell we're all on bikes so get nodding  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

piglet

They're not nodding at you on your Honda  lead 110, They're throwing up.... it's the gag reflex that makes them appear to be nodding. I threw up twice last week and crapped myself when riding towards a fat bird on a Monkey bike.

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

I Nod

I nod, I always nod!

in fact I'm nodding now...

Sometimes I dribble a bit too...

My workmates think I'm a nutter...

What was the question again?

Baz (still nodding)

Reply to this Topic