Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

Last Sunday I rode from my home near Exeter to my in-laws' house in Birmingham. I must have passed over 100 bikes but, despite my cheery waves, only received half a dozen or so nods in return. What's wrong with bikers these days; why does hardly anyone wave anymore?  Your answer could help. The best will be printed in next week's MCN,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 September 2012 15:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shawno76

Aug 10

shawno76 says:

Everyone nods.  Or as in Europe - arm out or boot out.  Love the boot out, although some people mistakingly think you're trying to Rossi the pending bend!

Reply to this Topic
likesitfast

Sep 11

likesitfast says:

We do but....

Maybe consider the other rider has to concentrate on their side of the road sometimes?

Reply to this Topic
chriswren

Jul 09

chriswren says:

Sideways nod to everyone and don't care what they ride Scooters, Harley's and even those damn Adventure bike.

Must admit, I only do it so I can make sure they have seen how shiney my bike it :)

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Nodding? Try following a car with a nodding dog in the back, I've got neck strain from trying to keep time with the little bastard!

Anyroadup, I'll nod, wave, smile at anyone on two wheels - being a simple soul has its advantages. Off to enjoy what sunshine's left, so prepare to be gurned at by a mobile village idiot..................

Reply to this Topic
Vortex1952

Mar 11

Vortex1952 says:

NO NOD?

I sadly must say that we live in a very miserable atitude society where most of us only care about ourselves what "we" need "want" etc....being a social person requires inner happiness and that is hard to get! I WILL carry on NODDING!

Reply to this Topic
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

Join the modern world

Have never understood this nodding rubbish . We are not some big gang. Our only connection is that we ride bikes. Why would I want to nod at someone I don't even know. Lets remember that the guy you are nodding at because he rides a motorcycle could be a murderer,rapist or even worse a Tory.

Reply to this Topic
oily1984

Mar 09

oily1984 says:

It's a biker thing

I got started with nodding/waving the day after my CBT and I'm still at it. The majority of bikers are friendly and love a chat if stopped as well. Although there is an increasing number of non-nodding riders, fair play but I think they've missed one of the big parts that makes biking enjoyable even when you're out at 4am mid-winter it's nice to see abit of friendlyness.

Reply to this Topic
cetdac

Mar 10

cetdac says:

erk?

Darn it I ride a Harley and wave nod etc at everyone. And I ride a Beemer all year round and wave and nod at anything motorised on two wheels. I realise now I ride two of the bikes apparently the least likely to nod or ride all year round! If only I'd known! Oh the shame!

Reply to this Topic
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

Paranoia???

There are a few comments on here such as; "I won't nod at that motorcyclist in case he's a murderer or rapist". What a paranoid outlook on life. I've found that most people who ride bikes are pretty normal. Okay maybe a few still have a tendency to nod uncontrollably at anything that moves on two wheels but we're not all murderers!!!

Reply to this Topic
bigbashbonanza

Mar 07

Its been in decline for years...

And those who do nod and acknowledge other rider feel a bit put out and daft if they don't get the same compliment in return, so with this behaviour, a lot of people aren't bothering. I always give a quick flash of my high beam and if they respond, give a nod in return. Bring it back I say. Flash (not your cocks!) your lights, wave, stick your foot out or nod and show the other users of the road that at least some of it's users have respect for others.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices