Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

Last Sunday I rode from my home near Exeter to my in-laws' house in Birmingham. I must have passed over 100 bikes but, despite my cheery waves, only received half a dozen or so nods in return. What's wrong with bikers these days; why does hardly anyone wave anymore?  Your answer could help. The best will be printed in next week's MCN,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 September 2012 15:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
dukie

Sep 12

dukie says:

I wave the hand or nod the head. always have done, were bikers but i the majority of people don't reply. can get a bike disheartening. BigBashBonanza says it best And those who do nod and acknowledge other rider feel a bit put out and daft if they don't get the same compliment in return, so with this behaviour, a lot of people aren't bothering.

Reply to this Topic
chips1953

Sep 12

chips1953 says:

Paranoia

That's the problem, if you don't get a wave back then you become paranoid about other bikers being unfriendly or even disdainful. If you want to acknowledge or instigate a greeting, do it, at least you haven't let yourself down. I like to wave, it makes me feel part of something I love, motorcycling.

Reply to this Topic
AFKAN

Apr 07

AFKAN says:

Always nod

It's like a sort of secret handshake or a knowing look, that both of you are members of a rather special group.  You can't explain motorcycling to a car driver.  You HAVE to actually ride to know.  The nod is an appreciation of this to a fellow enthusiast.

Reply to this Topic
Asterios21

Jan 09

Asterios21 says:

Hmmm

Got a couple of copies of motorcycling from the 1920's and there seems to be a few comments on this very subject, even back then (though there was a lot more talk about breaking down, tools and meeting new friends whilst pushing their pride and joys home, lol) I'd deduce from this that the only people who notice are those who are friendly and enthusiastic about bikes the rest... well they can wait in the rain for the AA/RAC or push their bikes home on thier own.
Manners costs ya nothing, Rudeness can costs ya everything.

Reply to this Topic
kenward5876

Aug 10

kenward5876 says:

Portsmouth

I live down in the sunny south in hampshire and im glad to say that the "nod" is alive and well down here, in fact i quite often suffer from whip lash because of it!

Reply to this Topic
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

Nodding

After reading all this drivel about nodding at strangers I will try and meet you half way. I will now start nodding at people on bikes that I think are better than mine. Therefore, unless you are on a K5 GSXR1000,you wont be getting a nod .

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Totally agree with Afkan

Reply to this Topic
banditgp

Jul 11

banditgp says:

Nodding

Curiously I always used to get a returning nod when I was on my VTR1000 but now that I'm on a DRZ400 I hardly ever do. The class system of old is alive and thriving in the biking community.....

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

I thought it was a Northern thing - friendlyness !  . But  after reading these posts apparently  not  .  I seem  to get more waves [or nods] from custom riders when I am on my cruiser , the same goes for any sports bike I am riding - so is it a  "snob" thing  ? . Now when I am on my sidecar outfit  ,thats when you feel good about biking instead of driving four wheels . Everybody is your  friend  . Anyway , if  a passing bike isn"t doing  70 m.p.h  about  80% of folks , nod .

Reply to this Topic
Vortex1952

Mar 11

Vortex1952 says:

Portsmouth

KENWARD! You got it right for the people down south to nod...it's the sun factor!lol and I could not agree more! Other comments here are so pathetic like some will nod only to bikes better them his/hers.....When I nod I never expect to be nodded back....if the other part is an unhappy miserable sod it's not my fault....

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices