Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

Last Sunday I rode from my home near Exeter to my in-laws' house in Birmingham. I must have passed over 100 bikes but, despite my cheery waves, only received half a dozen or so nods in return. What's wrong with bikers these days; why does hardly anyone wave anymore?  Your answer could help. The best will be printed in next week's MCN,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 September 2012 15:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

No reduction of nodding.....

................in my area.

Almost all are a friendly biking brotherhood.

The only exception being Harley riders in their silly, black, piss pot helmets.

Beats me why they like to live in their oneupmanship bubble just because they ride an overpriced, 1920s technology bike.

Reply to this Topic
fitzy2009

Jan 11

fitzy2009 says:

when i first started bikeing every biker nodded or waved. But now nothing so i wait for them to nod unless its someone i know. Sad really but i put it down to these sunday riders, who only come out on there brand new blade with there office manager mates with there replica leathers and matching helmets. Real bikers nod or wave fact.

Reply to this Topic
Ovski

Nov 10

Ovski says:

People should always nod to learners

From experience its such a confidence boost to get a nod when you're riding on 'L' plates. It costs absolutely nothing but can really cheer people up.

Its a similar thing to sticking your foot out when filtering (if its safe to do so obviously) when a car moves out of the way to let you through. Good manners cost nothing but go a long away. Saying that, when you're riding though Central London in rush hour good manners go out the window - its purely survival that the brain is thinking about!

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Asterios21

"Got a couple of copies of motorcycling from the 1920's" :shock:

Dude yu iz well old.:wink::biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
barksy

Oct 10

barksy says:

Nods y/n

I agree with you about Beemer Bikers..may I add too..Harley Riders, Scooter riders et al.
I think too, it's an older rider thing..I'm 52ish, most younger bikers do not return the 'Nod'..most older riders do ( I know you can't tell  age under the lids ) but body language and meeting them when stopping confirms it in most cases)..must be a phd in there somewhere, Social Interaction from like minded people...:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
XsjadoX

Aug 12

XsjadoX says:

To Barksy

I'm 23 and i've been riding since I was 18 - I always nod! But yes I do agree that it has disappeared recently. When I was on the 125 as a learner I never recieved a nod, then once I'd passed my test and got a larger bike I noticed it. To this day I'm not sure why we do it - but it's nice all the same.

Reply to this Topic
Abstract rude

Aug 08

Ignorant

Because we're all ignorant or don't want to look like a nob in front of the car behind us when the ignorant dick on the other side of the road doesn't nod back. I'm about no one and nod at everyone...even the guys on 50's with l plate (shock horror), we all started somewhere.

Reply to this Topic
lee696

Sep 12

lee696 says:

Hobby or daily commute?

Maybe it's whether you ride as a hobby or as a daily vehicle. I nod to all but ride for pleasure not necessity. When I had a LR defender and Vw camper everyone flashed waved as it was a club type of thing. Individual choice I suppose.

Reply to this Topic
brevav2

Feb 09

brevav2 says:

I always give a nod to fellow riders, sadly very few return the compliment these days, probably indicative of the society in which we now live,

Incidently, over the many decades i have been riding the worst 'offenders' with regard to not waving or nodding have been  BMW and Harley owners, strange but true

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

nodding

For me it all depends how im riding,if im cruising along i always nod,if im bang at it leant well over i dont even though some expect me to.please take that sort of thing into consideration before expecting a nod,of much more concern to me is the lack of  chat at bike meets people who go with a group often ignore those riding alone ,we always try to include such people in our banter,

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices