Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

Last Sunday I rode from my home near Exeter to my in-laws' house in Birmingham. I must have passed over 100 bikes but, despite my cheery waves, only received half a dozen or so nods in return. What's wrong with bikers these days; why does hardly anyone wave anymore?  Your answer could help. The best will be printed in next week's MCN,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 September 2012 15:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jekyllandhyde

Apr 10

in Spain...

In Spain, we normally use the 'V for Victory' to greet other bikers. It is even quite common for a car-bound biker to do the same out of the window to other bikers. The boot-out is used as a means of thanking others. It is always important to spread the word that we are NOT the horsemen of the apocalyse =)

Reply to this Topic
jekyllandhyde

Apr 10

BMWs

What I forgot to say is that in Madrid, I am used to seeing the people who commute to work disguised as Charley or Ewan, going the Long Way to the office, whose superiority complex does not allow them to greet lesser mortals on anything other than a GS R1200 with ALL the accesories...

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Perhaps Hardly Ableson riders don't nod because their Screamin Eagle (angry shitehawk more like) wrap around shades would fall off? Most uncool. Dude.

Reply to this Topic
faceache46

Feb 10

faceache46 says:

i live in france now and its a surprise when someone does not wave , mind you if i lived in country with sh*t weather and sh*t rods id be a miserable git too!

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Ah, faceache46; I see that living en France has ruined your spelling. Never mind, I'm sure that living with our litle Gallic counterparts has opened your eyes to the endemic xenophobia that dwells amongst their glorious country? Non? Sacre bleu, un rosbif habille en le village? Ou est le croix en flamme? My French is as crap as their attitude to Brits.....

Reply to this Topic
Ian610

Sep 12

Ian610 says:

I used to nod at anyone on a bike, but most of the time, I just receive complete ignorant blank stares back. Now I tend to not bother as much. If they want to nod, they'll usually do it first, so I just nod back. I think one of the main reasons is the amount of people using bikes as just a method of transport and don't have the related passion that goes with biking. Some just don't like bowing down to social convention.

Reply to this Topic
Willanderson

Aug 12

Willanderson says:

It's those Harley riders that refuse your nod. Everyone else seems happy enough to reply back with a nod apart from them!

Reply to this Topic
Marmalade2

Sep 12

Marmalade2 says:

I used to think people were a bit anti-pan euro rider but they are as ignorant when I'm on gixxer as well. It's not just a biker thing, people are just generally more self centred and ignorant.

Reply to this Topic
SPIKER40

Apr 06

SPIKER40 says:

Nodding

True bikers, ones that have been riding for years, still nod.  Bikings about the fun the freedom and the camaradarie; regardless of what you ride.

I'm guessing, that if some folk are too ignorant to nod, then there probably the ones that don't like to talk to anyone at bike meets?

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Choppers, etc.

I have noticed people on choppers with way raked-out front ends and/or ape-hanger handlebars never wave back. Probably scared they would lose control if they removed a hand from the bars at speed.

N.b. Here in the US/Canada motorcyclists only nod if they are busy using the clutch, etc. The standard greeting is a low wave, with the left arm pointing somewhat downwards, palm forward, and first two fingers in a “V”.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices