Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Why don't we nod anymore?

Last Sunday I rode from my home near Exeter to my in-laws' house in Birmingham. I must have passed over 100 bikes but, despite my cheery waves, only received half a dozen or so nods in return. What's wrong with bikers these days; why does hardly anyone wave anymore?  Your answer could help. The best will be printed in next week's MCN,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 September 2012 15:20)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
johnlaud

Oct 11

johnlaud says:

I started riding again about 15 months ago after a long time away. As I only ever rode a 250 on l plates before I was stuck on a 125 until recently.I was a bit unsure if bikers still stuck together but was pleased to find out that they do. I felt conscious being an old guy on a small bike but I have found that no-one judged me and most were pleased I was back on a bike. I have also been surprised that about 60 or 70 percent of bikers round my area nod as they go by. Maybe us 'Fenners' ain't so b

:biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Lewisboard

Jul 12

Lewisboard says:

riding to work today

i thought about this, i'm 19 and since having my lil 50 and then 125 and now on the 600, the nods have increased but today i went out to nod at every rider i saw on in the opposite direction (only on single lanes not gonna nod to someone 3 lanes on the other side of the rode) and nearly everyone nodded back, i did look like Churchill when i passed a group of guys on a Sunday blast though.

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

Read the replies to find the answer

Having read through most of the replies, it would appear that the biking world is not what it used to be. Am I less of a biker because I choose to not commute on my ZX10R? Its not that I can't ride in adverse weather, I used to, but I now choose when I ride. I don't have anything to prove to anyone. When I commuted on my CG125, nobody nodded at me, yet there I was, riding in the snow, ice, rain, 5 days a week. Some people are slagging off BMW riders, Harley Riders etc, but unless we all start to regard ourselves as 'bikers', whatever, whenever, however we all ride, we'll end up loosing decades of camaraderie and end up in tiny splinter-groups, desperately trying to ignore other bikers.

I'll nod at any biker, even a woman....

Reply to this Topic
samuraiguitars

May 06

This topic

comes up a lot.
As far as I can work it out we nod  "to our own "
I ride Harley's, Wing's and dirt bikes and I get the most nods etc depending on who's coming the other way and what I'm on at the time. I call sports bike riders ignorant they call hog riders the same. It all depends on wheter you consider yourself a cruiser or sports bike rider or simply a biker. (I do draw the line at scooters though:wink:)
Simples

Reply to this Topic
TomRR

Jan 11

TomRR says:

SNEV me ol-cocka

SNEV your bang out-a order,,,,I have a Beeema and I wave to all bikes except ""Ginxercarl"". Coz he is a cock!Anyway.
I was recently riding through India, on a ride a bullet vacation, I noticed all Indians nod back, regardless if on a bike or not,  also is a shake of the head meaning,, yes…..or…… no…. so confusing!!!

Reply to this Topic
mattofasto

Aug 02

mattofasto says:

I always feel happy on my bike

so I nod to everyone. Even to a group of ageing mods on blingy scooters the other day, as I was nailing it back from Matlock. We're all different to most of the slug drivers, so let's acknowledge each other.

Reply to this Topic
COZ69

Nov 10

COZ69 says:

Its ashame that BMW (some) are to stuck up to nod back

But we will have the satisfaction of riding on by when they have broke down at the side of the road,

with a cheeky nod as I ride by ha ha

Reply to this Topic
alanbeare

Nov 10

alanbeare says:

Nodding

Id say about 95% of riders you meet over in here in Ireland nod to you, the other 5% seem to be made up of Harley riders and older gentlemen. I nod to everyone (came back from the TT with whiplash)

Reply to this Topic
sdy30

May 09

sdy30 says:

Noddy

I nod. Doesn't matter what the rider/bike combination I see coming the other way. It's all good on 2 wheels.......apart from scooters....obviously...... ;0) Got a few nods and waves from the other side of a motorway the other day! Must have been hysteria caused by that rare British event of a gap in the rain..... One day I will go to Spain with my bike. Apparently there is no Spanish word for 'pot hole' or phrase for 'annual subscription for ACF-50 and Pilot Road-3's'.....and they don't need Gortex covered everything.....Do they nod? Bet they do. Not sure how to handle the ride out coming the other way though. Nodded so much last time must have looked like I probably shouldn't be on the road!.... Mind you, that's probably true anyway.... Rule Britannia...and Cal Crutchlow.

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

I nod

I normally nod but somtimes I'm concentrating too much or buffetted too much to nod. Who cares? Its not a requirement and I'm not offended if I don't get nodded LOL

Just make sure you nod police bikes, I do and it must annoy them!!!!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle