Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

martinac

Sep 12

martinac says:

Starting out

Hey, 

I'm new here, but I've occasionally looked through the MCN website before discovering the forums here.

I've always loved bikes, so I booked a taster session with Get On and since that day I've been hooked. I was going to book my CBT but ended up using that money on driving lessons as it seemed more practical at the time...

So, in this post I'm asking for clarification of the bikes that can be ridden with L plates, and the best learner legal bikes to bridge the gap between the CBT and DAS test. Also, advice on equipment and anti-theft devices.

I was looking at a YZF-R125, but after comparing the price to a 600cc supersport I changed my mind. A friend of mine has always stood by the CBR125, but they look like poo! I understand that you'll only be on a 125 for a few months if you're aiming to progress to bigger bikes, but there has to be cheap [inc. insurance] decent looking bikes with a 125cc engine? 

Since my local Hein Gericke store has closed down, I had a little look online for bike gear. The list of equipment is probably overkill, but I'd rather spend a few extra hundreds than wind up paralysed.

- Scorpion Exo-500 Air 
- RST Pro Series Leather Jacket
- RST Slice Leather Jeans
- RST Blade II Glove
- Spada ST1 Waterproof Boots

As far as anti-theft devices go, I've put a list together too.

- Oxford Anchor Force Ground Anchor
- Oxford Hardcore XL Chain
- Oxford Mini T Disc Lock

I'm only going by the websites customer reviews, and from what I've seen on insurance quotes. I'm not entirely sure if what I've listed is sufficient and safe.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 September 2012 10:51)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

First off

when you're on a CBT, you're limited to 125cc / 14.6bhp; most 4-stroke 125s are designed to comply with this.

Although not the most stylish, the Honda CG125 is a cheap and practical 125 bike, with low running costs and will run forever. Yamaha's YBR is another.

2-stroke 125s are often best avoided - they tend to have hefty maintenance costs.

Post-DAS, the favourite bikes are Kawasaki's ER5 / 6, Yamaha's Fazer 600 / XJ6, Honda's Hornet 600 and CB500, and Suzuki's Bandit 600/650, SV650 and GS500.

You mention the 600 supersports bikes above; these are probably best avoided when starting out; they can be highly strung little buggers, some find them uncomfortable (low bars and high pegs), and the insurance will likely be sky-high.

One factor to bear in mind when starting out, is you'll almost certainly drop a bike at some point (its easily done) - faired bikes (125 or 600) can be expensive when you do with all the plastics on them.

As for kit, your best bet is to get yourself down to a shop / dealer and try stuff on, and if possible, try and sit on a bike with it on. Some clothes, whilst OK off the bike, can be uncomfortable on it. It might be dearer than buying online, but many shops will match prices if you ask.

Helmets - again, fit is the most important factor; too loose and it can move (or come off in a spill, too tight and it can be distracting - so go to a shop and try it on for 15mins or so.

Security: disc locks are almost worthless; a bike can be lifted into a van in about 30 seconds. An Almax (google it) chain round the bikes frame and a solid object is probably best. Drawback however, is chains are awkward to carry unless you've got a topbox or similar.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Starting out

Don`t bother,buy a Kia Picanto with free road tax, low insurance,50+ m.p.g., 7 year warranty,always warm and dry,cheaper on tyres,a.b.s as standard.

All bikers are mental.:shock: 

Reply to this Topic
Fcuk123

Jun 13

Fcuk123 says:

I'd rather never drive a car again

You on commission or something????

It's not all bikers, yes some are nobs even I agree. Time and place for certain antics. But overall bikers are pretty awesome. 

You must be one of those individuals who couldn't get past their CBT.

Bless!!!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices