Skip to content

Discuss This Government boost for bike scheme General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Government boost for bike scheme

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Government boost for bike scheme

A scheme helping young people get to work or college by providing them with scooters has won a £50,000 government grant. The scheme subsidises hire of scooters to young people in rural areas where public transport is poor. The grant is for the Motorcycle Industry Association to expand the initiative nationally.Transport Minister Norman Baker said: “Helping young people access jobs...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 September 2012 14:41)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MankeyJohn

Sep 12

MankeyJohn says:

Crime

Not saying that the youth of today are bad and criminals... but I kinda am. I only say this because I know what I get up to. Giving them a mode of transport is not the right way to be going. They can only go 30mph so at some point there going to put a stupid 70's kit in it. The police find them and scrap the bike that the goverment have just paid for, thus the kid can't get to college. Spend he money on REAL transport, Something that everyone can benerfit from. I'm all for motorbikes, but just not f**king scooterS

Reply to this Topic
number75

Jul 12

number75 says:

Damned if you do...

Lots of bashing for this scheme, if they all fall off then they will just 'prove' the facts won't they? If they're not facts then they might prove to the rest of UK what is possible with a bit of faith. Also, I know the plastic biker parade will be wrapping their pride and joy up now after the epic 500 miles they've put on it this year and getting the audi out the garage, but this is not siberia and you see a lot more scooters on the road over winter than any 'real' bike.

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

What a bunch of arseholes

Not the government, but all the negative nancies on here.

What would you like the government to do instead? Leave the situation as it is?

Yes, more money and resources to fix the numerous problems in rural Britain would be better, but in this instance they've identified motorcycling as a cheap and cheerful alternative and funded it with some initial startup costs that doesn't mean the government going to the IMF in a few months time.

Reply to this Topic
wings1372

Aug 02

wings1372 says:

RD50

They need to bring back the RD50 and get rid of all these auto scooters!!! ringy ding ding

Reply to this Topic
matthewdaytona

Feb 12

Ok ...... But

So the Gov gives them a 50cc scooter to get to school/college/jobs etc.

Good idea i think, however these are being given to people that havent got jobs or enough money to pay for public transport everyday.

So how are they going to afford the insurance, tax, helmet, cbt and THE ALL IMPORTANT PROTECTIVE GEAR!

Overall, nice idea but giving them a scooter is only 1 cost of many when riding. i dought any of them will buy protective gear either.

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

0% on comprehension

The article says that riders will be rented scooters and the cost will be subsidised.  Most of the schemes include CBT, insurance, clothing etc.

Before picking holes, why not do some research?

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

Well done

At last this govt has seen the benifits of motorbikes or should that be scooters, it would be better if it were motorbikes as scooters small wheels can be a problem but the idea is there so good for them finaly.

All they need do now is tackle councils that charge motorcycles to park as there is no justification for the charge.

Reply to this Topic
Fly by night

Sep 07

Fly by night says:

One other point

Many of these youths in the old days would have been able to afford their own bike as many of the older riders would testify, today there are so many rules and regulations on new riders that many are put off, the price of the bikes have rocketed as well, if they want to help people back into work by providing them with bikes why not do away with some of the rules that govern the actual bikes.

Ie does anyone remember the thomas moped, or the puch maxi, or the numarous other small mopeds that used to be seen regularly on the streets, very cheap to run very cheap to buy and very reliable if treated right, where have they all gone.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Small Wheels?

What is the problem with small wheels? I have ridden a Honda NHX110 (Elite or Lead 110) on badly potholed streets, gravel roads, dirt roads, mud roads, and even a bit off-road. Handles it all better than my “real” motorcycles, except for the inline beach buggy (aka Yamaha TW200).

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices