Skip to content

General What would be your rebuild/restoration choice? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > What would be your rebuild/restoration choice?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

What would be your rebuild/restoration choice?

In that, if you had the time & patience (not to mention the skills required) which knackered bike would you buy to "do up"? Not so much about profiteering here, SS100's or Vincent's are all well & great but I'm thinking more along the lines of "just for the sake of it"

Was looking at a couple of Yam 350 F YPVS's as that was the machine I really cut my teeth on or maybe an RD125 or similar age 2/ 125  but even the rust buckets out there have really stoopid asking prices!   

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 September 2012 19:02)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

my choice

a z650b1...............de

Reply to this Topic
BaldE35

Oct 06

BaldE35 says:

Choice

Like the question.

I'd start with a Kawa 2 stroke triple then  when I gained a bit of experiance and nice baby Ducati, say the 350. Finally a Trident or maybe Jota, could always look at the Z900... too many to think of without drooling.

Sad really that I'm useless at anything more than servicing maybe I should start with the kids pushbikes...  

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Price

And lack of ability on my part were kind of the deciding factors in wanting something simple to start with too. That & not having to worry when I tell the wife I've cocked it up so lost the money!:wacko:

Thing is even the complete munters are going for silly money, I'm not looking to make a profit, would probably ride it at least once to burst the nostalgia bubble!!:lol: I don't want to be spending silly money though  

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

any

Norton pref commy or manx

500 goldie

and ide like to build another NORVIN  and 1200 NORIMP

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Yo AC...

Got a RD350LC powervalve that I'm fixing up now.   Usual sorts of problems with it, but the entire front brake system is in the greatest need of complete overhaul.

What you do want, though, is a bike which you're going to be very happy to ride around on during those brief periods when it's working.

Nothing worse than spending ages fixing something which was a dog to begin with.   I'd go for the 350YPVS rather than a 125.

Maybe  we can compare notes and encourage each other to get on with it, eh?

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

I would

like to rebuild another Suzuki RG 500,the last one i rebuild got wiped out with me on it at a set of traffic light,by a nine month pregnant woman,all she was interested in was her unborn child,not me and my bike she just run over at a red light.As you say Amateurcynic,i would only play out on it every now and then as my last one only done eighteen miles to the gallon.I would probably fit a late GSXR 600 front end swing arm and rear wheel and after market rear shock for a good start.:smile(that's the one on my profile) 

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

probably something...

like this.(see picture below)...:lol:

here's the link if some of you want a few ideas.There's some silly stuff on there but a lot of good too...P.S I think the guzzi is mint.The laugh is I couldn't put that together even if it came brand new packed in boxes.

v v v v 8....

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
Mapman

Mar 09

Mapman says:

Different

I've always wanted to restore a 1976-ish Suzuki TS250. Great 2nd/local bike and mechanically simple. Strange choice, but that's the way it is:smile.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

something like this...

would be more viable for me I think....that front mudguard would have to go though.:smile

super hawk.

trouble is I think it's a U.S model.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
evlcatnw

Nov 05

evlcatnw says:

Rebuild

oooo any of u fancy stripping and rebuilding my CBR400 nc23 aero?? Sorry but had to ask lol!

I need ideas on what to do with her for the better so that by may next year i have a lovely completely useable and reliable 1988 remodeled aero lol!

All she needs is an mot at the mo and no doubt she'll pass with no problems but i noticed gear changes were a lot 'clunky' last time i had her out... Want to sort brakes out for nicer ones that dont take half hour to work, definitely need new chain and sprockets but no idea where to start really....

And due to my knowledge being limited to human pipework no i cant drop a 600 engine in it... Yes i have a haynes manual but it may as well be in chinese... Definitely needs a few pounds removing from the weight but all ideas welcome... First job will be sorting the piss poor paintjob out on the plastics and getting a 'proper' chain and rear mudguard sorted-the one thats on is held on by a cable tie (dont ask not me!)...

All ideas greatly appreciated including what colour scheme-if u say pink i wont be impressed but black and gold aint my 'thing'.... Was thinking 'animal' but may as well paint a target on her on her if i do that eh?

Cheers x

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices