You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Bikesafe

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Mapman

Mar 09

Mapman says:

Bikesafe

My son and myself have just done BikeSafe with the Essex police. It's really excellent, and it says something that we both got a lot out of it despite an age difference of 39 years!. Apart from the useful information from the appraisals, to get a day's riding including a good hot lunch at a biker cafe all for £55 each can't be bad.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (15 September 2012 16:29)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Foby

Aug 12

Foby says:

Bikesafe

Like you Mapman I did the Bikesafe Course a few years ago through Peterborough Police with my son on his Bandit 600 and me on a Harley Road King and really enjoyed it. They certainly put you through your paces with one to one ride tuition. Well worth the effort and expence. Go for it if you get the chance, it will make you a much better rider. Even after my 40 years experience!

Reply to this Topic
benmc

Feb 09

benmc says:

Essex Bikesafe

I've got a course booked (with Essex Police) this Sunday, so good that you had a worth while time! 

Hopefully the weather'll hold out for me...

Whereabouts did they take you on the ride? 

Reply to this Topic
Kev1949

Jun 09

Kev1949 says:

Essex Bikesafe

I done the Essex one last Sunday (  23 Sept ), and due to the constant heavy rain all day, couldn't get home fast enough. HOWEVER! big complaint with the instructor. He was not a bike cop, but a civilian instructor with the Essex Police. Not too bad until after lunch. I was riding a 500 and the other rider a 750. As I couldn't go as fast as the 750, I was left behind some considerable distance when the rider on the 750 was being assessed. The only way I knew which way to go, was by hearing the instructor using the radio telling the other rider. And that was not all that good at times either, as so far behind, the signal sometimes got lost!! I could have had an accident, got lost, broke down, and the instructor would not have know anything about it. I put these comments on the feedback form that was emailed to me. As for the lunch break, too many bikers at too few tables. Squashed shoulder-to-shoulder. Guess it was my unlucky day??   

Reply to this Topic
benmc

Feb 09

benmc says:

same day different story...

I guess it all depended on instructor then - yes it was really wet and by the end of the day my waterproof clothes proved to be not entirely waterproof but the weather would be my only complaint. 

Due to the rain and the standing water everywhere we weren't really pushing on a great deal. Most of the roads were national limits and we spent a fair amount of time well under that - a few slides through standing water keeps you on your toes. 

I felt I learnt a hell of a lot about forward planning and positioning and the feedback from the instructor was clear and helpful. 

We didn't have radios, we relied on the officer's signals to know where were going next. These were always given in plenty of time and we were given clear instructions that if we were left behind, just to wait where we were and the officer would come and get us - they're pretty good at observation you know...

Not really got a bad thing to say about the day, as a result of the day I'm off to see a local advanced group this evening to see about doing further training. 

Reply to this Topic
Mapman

Mar 09

Mapman says:

Belated replies

Been on hols, so only just seen your postings. Glad it went well.No, you don't get radio with the police instructors. I know what Foby means - it's slightly disconcerting to be left far back, but they really will find you! My son and I were both on (old!) 600 Bandits, but he pushes on a bit and goes for the overtakes more, so I was bound to drop back, being a bit (well, lot) older (and wiser?). Shame about the weather, Foby. Maybe do it again? - someone on our day was doing just that and reckoned he learnt a lot more.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices