Skip to content

Discuss This Misano MotoGP: Valentino Rossi targets positive result with new chassis MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Misano MotoGP: Valentino Rossi targets positive result with new chassis

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Misano MotoGP: Valentino Rossi targets positive result with new chassis

Valentino Rossi is hoping a new Ducati GP12 chassis and swingarm will help him claim only a fourth top six finish of the season in front of his home crowd at Misano tomorrow. The Italian, who will return to Yamaha in 2013, qualified in sixth place this afternoon after posting a best time of 1.34.619 in the first full dry session...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (15 September 2012 18:10)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MrKrabs

Sep 12

MrKrabs says:

Not convinced the Ducati is as fixed as people seem to think, they test at Misano so should be closer there. yes 4.4 secs back looks like progress but Bautista was only six seconds off and how often does that happen? Lorenzo was cruising and probably could have gone half a second a lap quicker if he wanted.

Hope im wrong though, be great to see the doctor back where he belongs.

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

As I said before cbr

if only preziosi had listened to Vale and Jerry sooner, what could have been. But yes, it has taken a long time for sure.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing krabs, that Lorenzo probably had another half second in his pocket. Even so, if he'd run flat out for the whole race, it would have only put him a further 13 seconds up the road. If you factor in that Lorenzo probably was running flat out for the first part of the race, then a more realistic figure would be a furhter 10 seconds up the road, bringing the total to 14-15 seconds between first and second. This is still a very positive step that directly coincides with the new frame and swingarm, so a corner turned in my book. But they still need to improve.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Congrats Vale. Still to beat an alien whilst on the Duke............. unlike Casey. The 'fanboys' are loving it today though. Bless 'em. Simple things please simple minds i guess.

Reply to this Topic
CJeffrey

Aug 12

CJeffrey says:

Little to late

Little to late I think. It's a shame Ducati turn a corner after Rossi confirms he's leaving to go else where. The bike has definitely improved quite a lot with not just lap times but being able to get a full race out the rear tyre too. How much progress they have made will have to wait till the next GP where we'll find out if Rossi can replicate that performance again. If only this change happened 12 months ago we would have seen a different Rossi for sure. I bet Dovi is thinking his move to Ducati ain't going to be so bad after all.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Improvement, but how much?

Don't forget they've just had 2 solid days testing as Misano, so it's only expected that they should have a reasonable showing in today's race, particularly with other teams being denied a large chunk of set up time due to the weather on Friday.

Next race will be more of an indication.

Reply to this Topic
kennygorrie

Jul 08

kennygorrie says:

Bultoboy

Not really mate, they have had nearly two years trying to get a good setup on the DES and are still around 1.5 seconds off the pace, maybe if they had a year at misano then yes

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Not sure I understand your point? All set up data from the last race and prior isn't overly relevant now they have the new chassis and swingarm.

Today was the first race with the new chassis and swingarm set up and they recently tested them at Misano for two solid days. A significant benefit over the other teams who had around a couple of hours set-up time in comparison, which is why I'd question exactly how much of an improvement the new parts have made. I'm not saying they've made huge strides.

Reply to this Topic
PaceyStacey

Feb 12

PaceyStacey says:

PaceyCasey...

...is getting bitter towards vale again now that his BF is out of the championship :)

Reply to this Topic
Firebird3

Nov 11

Firebird3 says:

Let down

Just goes to show, if Ducati had got their finger out and brought out upgrades every week until the problem had been solved, then Rossi would of been at the front every race. Ducati have let him down big time.

Reply to this Topic
Smackbum

Jun 11

Smackbum says:

Ducati let themselves down

By taking so long to acknowledge that the front end was not up to standard and needed to be the focus of development.  Stoner complained about it but Ducati either didn't have the resources or the expertise to fix it, so Casey gritted his teeth and rode around the problems until he could get a better seat.  Rossi complained about the same lack of front end feel and refused to ride around it, and Ducati still minced around for the best part of two seasons wondering why the Sun God wasn't doing as well as the much maligned Aussie.

So now with a bit of engineering effort, some improved mojo from journeyman Rossi, and a lot of extra track time .... Ducati/Rossi have a legitimate MotoGP podium.  OK - it is a somewhat tarnished silver due to the absence of Casey and Dani, but he beat the "other" M1 machines fair and square.

The $64 question is ..... does Valentino now regret jumping off the beast and back into the comfy armchair?  It is sort of the opposite to Ben Spies decision to persevere with MotoGP in a satellite team rather than go back to a championship where he has "Been there, done that."

And apart from the Rossi podium and Bautista pipping Dovi for third, it was a disappointing race and a disasterous result for the championship.  Dani now needs at least one DNF from Jorge otherwise it's game over.  Kamikaze Casey - where are you????

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices