Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ppreston12

Sep 12

ppreston12 says:

best mpg 600

Hi,

I am about to take my part 2 of the practical and would like a bike in the garage ready for when I have passed, but im a little stuck. Im looking at 600ish cc bikes mainly to commute to work but also good at the weekends. But im very conscious about what the fuel comsumption will be like as the idea of getting the bike is to 1. own a bike as ive loved them from a younge age and 2. be cheaper on fuel, insurance than my car in order to save a bit of money. My budget is not particually great so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (16 September 2012 12:08)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Bikes with good MPG

Look for singles or twins rather than in-line fours.  Depending on your budget look for machines like the CB500 and ER6. 

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Twin

My twin does better MPG than my inline4.

Just keep the revs low and it'll make more of a difference.

Reply to this Topic
stonysleet

Dec 10

stonysleet says:

MPG

the magazine Ride this months has exactly what you need have a look at that

shiny side up

I would look for you but its in the van and i dont wana move

:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Kawasaki ER6n

My ER6n is returning figures in the region of 60mpg average when riding within legal motorway speed limits on my 100 mile commute or as low as 48mpg when really giving it some stick on mixed roads. The best I've ever had is 68mpg on a 150 mile motorway run at a steady 70-80mph.

My brother hasn't managed more than 48mpg on his Hornet 600 even when riding carefully. So for the small performance increase you'll get with the carbed Honda 4 the fuel injected parallel twin Kawasaki is a winner.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

MPG

Consider the BMW 700 & 800 GS parallel twins (GSs etc). I believe BIKE mag got 80+mpg out of them.

Maybe also consider the "Super scooters".

Ignore the numbers, they don't necessarily match the engine sizes.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Look at Total Cost Of Ownership...

Iv'e commuted for six years and i can honestly say that I am not saving money w.r.t. a car and that is even with my bike returning an average close to 70mpg... If I could put up with a small diesel fiesta it would be very cheap! However I think my journey would be lot less pleasant in a car.

Unless you are doing under 6000 miles a year or are doing all your servicing etc I don't think you will save much compared to a car  - over this amount because bikes get through tyres, chains and services quite frequently (and you have to buy good quality textile clothing, helmets and visor replacement etc which also add up).

Servicing costs varies depending on manufacturers and models but to give you a rough guide - Yamaha and BMW are 6000 mile service intervals whilst Suzuki and Kawasaki are 4000. Hondas older than about 2010 have 4000 mile service intervals whilst those newer are 8000. simmarly at major service time V twins (or V Fours) (even the Deauville) start to cost more than parallel twins or fours because of the extra labour. Whenever you are considering a bike you should ring up your local dealer and ask them to explain the service schedule for it and likely costs. A good dealer will be very happy to discuss as they will understand your issue and realise that you could be a very good customer...

Tyres will need replacing regularly. How regularly is difficult to guess but seems to be a function of weight of the bike as much as anything - My Honda Deau neeeded tyres most frequently whilst my 250R Ninja probably got twice as long even out of the replacements (I got a puncture so had to replcae both the originals).

The budget bikes with the smaller chains will go through chains every 12000 miles or so even with a scotoiler). They just stretch in some links and not in others and become unadjustable... (The vibration of a badly stretched chain is awful). Simmarly with a chain drive bike you need to add the cost for chain lube etc... With a shaft drive bike you can save this but sometimes they cost more to service. Simmarly the BMW F800 belt drive is suposed to be replaced every 24000 but they never need it - mine is on 36000 miles on the original belt...

I tend to wear out a pair of gloves a year. I prefer the mitten style ones as they are fractionally warmer. I spend about £60. I also must have heated grips on my bike(yeah very important :-)) but these wear out every 36K... I also buy a florescent vest every two years or so. I like the ones with side zips so they protect the zip on my Goretex Jacket...

I have bought reasonable quality Goretex Jacket and trousers and both need replaceing after 5 years. They are still relativly waterproof (and are proofed about twice a year with NikWax) but the lining has worn in several places and the collar has given up ages ago...

TBC...

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

second part...

Probably the cheapest bike with these things in account to run is one of a Honda NC700, BMW G650GS (Single) or F800ST/S (belt drive). Because the Honda Deauville has a shaft drive it will also be fairly cheap.

Iv'e not ridden a NC700 but think its a very good deal (cheap, very economic, clever design). Just possibly not for me and Honda will charge me to change so i am not interested at this point. Simmarly the BMW G650S is okay but it feels a little short of puff to me (vibrated a lot too) and a bit cheap. The BMW F800ST is a pricy beast but I love my F800S and can confirm that the running coss are the lowest i have had (mpg nearly 70mpg over the last 24K (according to fuelly), tyres last very well, no belt changes needed, just regular services (plus one fuel pump). I had a ER6F and loved it. It was a good bike, I got about 62 mpg but after 36K (and 3 chains) changed it for the 250R which did better on fuel (but not better than the F800) and tyres but was very painfully slow. I also had two Deauvilles and can confirm that the NT650 servicing was fairly cheap (The 2009 NT700V servicing was adjusted by Honda so out of 4 services only one was inspection but even so was fairly cheap except at 24K). My mpg from the Deau wasn't that good at about 56... (but its a big bike and has a big warm fairing)

Best Wishes

Andy

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices