Skip to content

General selling bike to buy a...? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > selling bike to buy a...?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

yamadad

May 11

yamadad says:

selling bike to buy a...?

Hi all

Dont expect anyone to tell me what to do as this is my decision but has anyone had to decide between their passion/hobby/love of motorcycling and the practicalities of paying the bills or keeping an expensive but loved pastime.

I am thinking of buying a van but would need to sell the bike to fund it.

I drive a car all week for my job and wish I was on the bike but when the weekend comes I have to do all the crap jobs that I dont get done through the week such as renovating a house,shopping diy etc and feel as guilty as hell if I go out on the bike just for the hell of it. 

Do you let your head or your heart rule when making the decision to let go of your bike in order to fund other things that are more important.

I know everyone will have a different opinion on this.

I am not asking for the answer just other peoples thoughts

Cheers All

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 September 2012 20:52)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Could you not

just sell the Mrs :unsure::smile

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

yamadad

Life is way too short to feel guilty just for the 'pleasure' of going for a ride. If ya don't have pleasure in your life what ya got. Unless of course you find DIY pleasurable, i think you have answered your own question. I am stretched financially with car and bike,but the bike stays.

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

Pre

depends how good the mrs handles, and how much she costs to run. oh and miles on clock :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

tow bar...

and trailer.:smile

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

CJ

and service history,number of owners,etc :laugh:

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

life, bikes, cars..etc..

i did feel guilty about going out on the bandit today and working on the zzr this afternoon, but I am home on my own from 8am till 4 pm mon-fri with my two children, one just turned two and son is 6 months old and teething..says it all!  We discussed about quitting my job and to save £1200 a month on childcare..each to their own..then again, I have just done some major jobs on our 99 volvo estate which main dealer wanted £700 for, cost me £350 plus a few hours.  Duaghter having her own room so decorating when im the other two are asleep in the day so mrs beacons knows when i say im knackared, she knows i am!

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Can you

afford to get a cheaper bike to use, just until you're better off?

We had to make do with an MZ for years, but Mr B still managed to tour France, Spain and Italy on it. We thought it was better than no bike and it was very cheap to insure and run. Once the kids were growing up a bit we managed to get a better bike and when they eventually left home we went back to having a bike each.

I'm not saying it was much fun but we just had to have a bike of some sort to keep us going.

Reply to this Topic
calamityjane

Jun 12

calamityjane says:

pre

if only partners came with a V5 and full service history. life would be so simple. yet very dull, lets not mention the emissions test :lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

If

you flog the bike, chances are you'll be pining for another before long...

Reply to this Topic
Blader2005

Dec 08

Blader2005 says:

I.M.H.O

like others say, selling the bike seems a reasonable, sensible option... but also like others say.. in no time at all youll be wishing you hadnt...

with all that it seems you have goin on, if gettin a quick blast out is your stress relief, and way of blowing off steam... how would you feel without that option...

would maybe SORNing the bike, saving on tax, insurance etc maybe ease up cash flow?? 

just a thought..

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices