Skip to content

General selling bike to buy a...? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > selling bike to buy a...?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

yamadad

May 11

yamadad says:

selling bike to buy a...?

Hi all

Dont expect anyone to tell me what to do as this is my decision but has anyone had to decide between their passion/hobby/love of motorcycling and the practicalities of paying the bills or keeping an expensive but loved pastime.

I am thinking of buying a van but would need to sell the bike to fund it.

I drive a car all week for my job and wish I was on the bike but when the weekend comes I have to do all the crap jobs that I dont get done through the week such as renovating a house,shopping diy etc and feel as guilty as hell if I go out on the bike just for the hell of it. 

Do you let your head or your heart rule when making the decision to let go of your bike in order to fund other things that are more important.

I know everyone will have a different opinion on this.

I am not asking for the answer just other peoples thoughts

Cheers All

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 September 2012 20:52)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

saving cash

As said previously, I am declaring the bandit sorn end of this month, had enough off of riding in crap weather in winter, so changing bars on her, n thats about it left..zzr is peeing me off on the other hand, dont mention exhausts!

Reply to this Topic
evlcatnw

Nov 05

evlcatnw says:

Used to

get sick of juggling everything and its hard work when kids are little...

Thankfully had my life back these past 6 years and whilst i may get the odd 'twinge' about buggering off playing out whilst kids are at home hav to admit it doesnt last long...

Thankfully my youngest is 13-eldest is 22 and whilst they may not be housetrained can look after themselves remarkably well...

Train yours to cook and clean then by the time they're 10 the missus will appreciate the help that much she'll be begging u to go out... It gets easier as they get older but dont bank on them growing out of the ps3 stage or leaving home :lol:

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

All work and no play

makes yamadad a dull boy,I work to pay for the toys.............. Sod the house,it essential to have your own time and space.Bikes a great for the soul.....:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Do both

Why save the DIY jobs for the weekend?

When I was a single working mum, I did all my jobs during the week, leaving the weekends for me and the kids.  I'd get back from work, put the oven on and stick dinner in, then mow the lawn while it cooked.  2 jobs done at once.  It can be done.

Or, if you don't want to do DIY jobs in the week, do them at the weekend, but ride your bike during the week, in the evening.

If you want a bike, you'll find the time and money for it.

Reply to this Topic
m1ks

Apr 09

m1ks says:

I'm not sure from what you're saying if you actually enjoy doing DIY and house renovating.
Fact, life is too short to do stuff you don't enjoy or get suitable appreciation from.
Do what you enjoy now, while it's there and you have the chance to do it.
If that is your bike, then theres your answer, if it renovation and DIY then likewise theres your answer.
I'm fortunate to have an understanding missis, who'll often wake me early on a Sunday, (the only day I get to lay in), to say, it's dry and sunny, are you going for a ride before you get up too late and moan about how you've wasted a nice riding day then?
I'm sure your missus has her pleasures, they may be indoor related hobbies but nonetheless......

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Same

Boat when first married, mortgage, wife wanted new car. Bought a cheap bike to keep on two wheels, surprising how much fun you can have without mega power and costs, even Whitham has runs out on old 70's strokers.

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

cheap bikes

Yup, i bought the zzr as a bit of a heap, £700 if i remember whilst doing my das in 09, bandit was £800 off a mate at work..leathers, £30 off fleabay, new boots and the mag show last year £30 all frank thomas which i have always used..cam off my rg 125 in a two piece, saved my skin no end..i am juggling at the mo, it is a nice evening, then ill go out instead of weekends, mrs b knows i need to destress after looking after my 2! 

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

you'll find that

buying vans is more expensive as a hobby than biking is

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN