You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > DAS lessons

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

nathanwaight

Sep 12

nathanwaight says:

DAS lessons

I’ve recently become interested in getting as my car just doesn't seem to be quick enough anymore. I’ve been doing a bit of research on the internet and a lot of places do 3/4day DAS courses. Does anyone know any places in the Gloucester area that does 1 – 2 hour private lessons, and know how much they’d cost? Or does anyone know of any good reasons why day courses are better?

Quick details about me:

I’m 24, so I’ll be 25 by the time the new law comes into effect

I’ve held a car licence for over 4 years and drive a Mitsubishi 3000GT

I passed my CBT a month ago and have a little 125 to practices on.

Thanks,

Nathan

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 September 2012 03:26)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

My advice

use your 125 to get practice for 6 months or so - it'll give you road miles under your belt that a short DAS course won't; on a bike you need to be far more aware than with a car - you're far more vulnerable when things go wrong.

DAS and the tests will likely be about £600-ish, maybe less if you've got enough miles with the 125.

Bear in mind also the up-front cost of clothing, security etc - good stuff doesn't come cheap.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

As Adie says

Plus when you book lessons make sure the school you go with allow you to book you Mod1 & Mod2 tests Seperately, don't listen to the "well that means you have to wait longer for your licence" ruse. If you fail Mod1 you won't be able to take the Mod2, if it's already got your name on it (i.e. you were going to do it in the afternoon/next day) I guarantee they'll charge you for it!!

Best work on your "forward planning" while on the 125, a way to do this is try to reduce the amount you use your brakes, the further up the road you look the more time you have to adjust your throttle response ergo less time is spent braking, most importantly you see hazards earlier & have more time to assess/deal with them.

Good Luck & Happy Riding:smile 

Reply to this Topic
Kokosun

Oct 12

Kokosun says:

Forward Planning

I soooooo agree with the advice on practicing forward planning.  I've been driving for almost thirty years but only just started riding.  As soon as I got on a bike, I realised that I wasn't looking far enough ahead.  It's a little embarrassing to realise that for almost thirty years I've been a crappy driver ... when I thought that I was quite good.

On the plus side, learning to ride a bike has made me a much better car driver.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices