Skip to content

Ask an Expert Replacements for old front springs and rear shock? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Replacements for old front springs and rear shock?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

fellhopper

Jan 09

fellhopper says:

Replacements for old front springs and rear shock?

Hi,

My GSX-R750 K2 is now 10 years old (obviously!) and has nearly 35K on the clock.
Everything I read about 'suspension' says it will need replacing or refreshing after about 16K miles, so I can only assume mine is most certainly well passed it's best and I am simply riding 'around the wear and tear' characteristics?
I am considering new progressive front fork springs and oil and new Rear Shock, both by Hagon. Also new Swing arm Bearings. Is there anything else I should consider?  By the way I only ride on the road and it's mainly a mixture of fast sweeping B Roads and more 'nadgery' stuff, so a compromise in overall settting is probably in-evitable?
Any advice anyone? Cheers 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 September 2012 09:57)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Shock & Forks

Last year I replaced the rear shock and fork springs on my VFR800 with Hagon units.  They seem well made and the difference in the bike's handling was amazing.  I also checked / cleaned / greased all the bushes and linkages at the same time.  My bike had about 38,000 on it at the time and, because the loss of performance in the suspension is gradual over a long period of time, you don't relise how bad things have got until you have refreshed everything.  

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

The Difference

Is amazing! Refreshed an old urban tiger when I had it with Maxton suspension, total revelation! Spent far more than my riding ability was worth:lol:! You can spend a Fortune if you have it but don't have to in order to make a massive difference, the Hagon stuff will give you hours of pleasure!:huh:

As Marcus says, clean & grease all the linkages at the same time to get the maximum effect, don't neglect your tyres too, no point having old squared off rubber when you fit the new bouncy bits!

Have Fun!:smile 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
fellhopper

Jan 09

fellhopper says:

New Suspension for Old bike!!

Thanks Marcusmarsh and Amateurcynic for your very helpful replies, it's good to know that others have been happy with their respective mods!

Can't wait to try, will go for Hagon units, as you suggested and will re-grease all the linkages etc. too

Cheers Guys! :smile

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Suspension overhaul

All round suspension service and rebuild will make a big difference to the way the bike feels – like cosmetic surgery combined with many trips to the gym – it will look and feel a lot better.

We spoke to Dave Parkinson at DIP Racing (dkparkinson@aol.com or 0033-682-709627) for his take on a suspension makeover:

“The standard Kayaba rear shock is a decent bit of kit, but the Teflon-coated DU bush that slides up and down the damper rod will need replacing, as will the rubber seals and any shims that look worn.

“The spring might look cruddy, so a rub down and respray is always nice, but it won’t have lost have lost its power, apart from settling slightly, which is why older bikes need a bit of rear preload dialed in after 10,000 miles. 3.5 to 5 weight good quality suspension fluid is a must.

“This set up is good enough for track work, if you were really into the circuits, a bit more high-speed rebound damping would give you better tyre wear.”

The front forks are Kayabas again, and have good quality 20mm cartridges in them that are the same as the race bikes of that era, so you are starting from a good base.

Progressive springs might have their place on a touring bike floating over poor surfaces, but on a sports bike the feel close to the limits of your ability of the bike’s tyre grip is what really matters. Linear-rate springs will deliver more consistent feedback of what’s happening at the sharp end when you keeled right over and almost fully committed, according to Dave. If you are pushing 15 stone go for 0.95kg/mm up front, if you haven’t got a belly 0.90kg/mm springs will support you.

The aim of a fork service and rebuild is to give you finer feel and also a wider range of adjustment, but you can stick to the standard shims and run 7.5 to 10weight fork oil.

“The advantage of a re-shim is that the oil passing through the cartridge is being metered better, is more controlled so you can run a lighter weight oil, which reacts quicker itself, giving you the feedback you need at 80mph through a bumpy right-hander.” Says Dave.

Prices vary in the industry, but a typical price is £90 plus p and p for a shock rebuild, £90 for a fork service and £200 for a fork service and rebuild to your requirements.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices