Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should every motorcyclist own a Ducati at some point? New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Poll: Should every motorcyclist own a Ducati at some point?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

admin

Nov 06

admin says:

Poll: Should every motorcyclist own a Ducati at some point?

Next week's MCN (out September 26) features the world first test of Ducati's semi-active suspension Multistrada 1200. This wildly advanced motorcycle provoked an office discussion about Ducatis in general: should every true motorcyclist have owned one at some point? Is it the badge of a pukka enthusiast?  pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 September 2012 18:05)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Ducati

Neighbours got a 1098, never had a mments trouble with it, I've an Aprilia RSV had it 6 years and 60,000 miles, been more reliable than many Jap bikes (had all the big 4).

When you look at the Italian Superbikes, they look a quality well designed product, unlike many of the cheap feeling newer Jap bikes. Just my opinion of course.

Reply to this Topic
ACEEDSTORM

Oct 10

ACEEDSTORM says:

I've owned my 900 Monster from new,had it 10 yrs now,& i love it,we've been thru alot together so i'll never sell it.I've ridden as far as the Ukraine & over most of eastern europe without a single problem,it's easy to service & cheap to run,handles very well,goes brilliantly & is very economical,but most of all it's got SOUL,you can feel whats going on unlike any jap bike which you just sit on & ride,they've no charactor at all,just a very efficient machine.My Ducati feels alive,i love it.

Reply to this Topic
LEV42

Nov 06

LEV42 says:

Personal preference...

...I love both my 749s and the Multistrada 1200 sport....I do use the bikes and have done so in all weathers rain sleet a bit of snow going to Brands a couple of years ago for BSB in Oct!! And unlike some on here who say they are unreliable, they have never let me down and now Ducati are owned by V.W; I should think the build quality will only get better and any reliability issues will be ironed out. I see 'BIKE' magazine had 1300 miles on a Panigale which spilled it's guts when tested and has since been returned to Bologna for analysis and the results will be shown shortly. I've owned Suzuki's Honda's Yamaha's but never a Kawasaki and most bikes have performed brilliantly but there is something about the big twin Ducati that steals my heart and the 749s is without doubt the best handling machine I've ever thrown a leg over. I'd recommend at least people try them but I wouldn't say it's to everyone's taste like life in general really. But....before you slag them off give it a go...it's only a test ride after all !!

Reply to this Topic
inewham

Aug 06

inewham says:

Meh

You missed a third option for those of us who couldn't care less - a bit too aspirational and look at me for my tastes.

Reply to this Topic
magmann

May 06

magmann says:

Yes, if you love drinking coffee in servicing reception areas and spending a great deal of money on maintenance/parts, so that you can say: 'I've never had a problem...' 

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

RED.....!!

Dont like the ducati red reminds me of a post office bike if they had one or something that should be rushing off to deal with a fire along with the fire brigade.But I can appreciate some people absolutely loving the colour my wife loves the red we even have a sofa in the same colour.

Reply to this Topic
leecopson2

Jul 07

leecopson2 says:

Test ride one Yes; own one No

Test rode a Multistrada and was mightlily disappointed. Girlfriend found the pillion incredibly uncomfortable. I hated having to feather the ruddy clutch so much in traffic. We both REALLY wanted to love it.

Bought a KTM Adventure R.

Journos live and operate in a different world to me. And maybe you. Try before you buy.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Had a 500 Pantah in the 80's and loved it. Then hated it. Then loved it, etc etc. Having not tried a new one,I can't really comment, but the emotional scars run deep..... 

Reply to this Topic
Mr.Number

Nov 07

Mr.Number says:

Truth is, the servicing reception experience is no different at Ducati than anywhere else. I've ridden all the inline bikes over the years and it's always been the case that it depends what you want from a bike. Been riding a Ducati S2R 1000 for the last 3 years, not a single problem over 30,000 miles including several tours across europe. The engine so far has been absolutely first class and has taken everything thrown at it and it just keeps on going. The build quality on ducati's is as good as anything Honda, Yamaha are coming out with, if not better so if it is twins your into then Ducati have that market nailed down. Wouldn't hesitate getting another S2R, if not it will be the 848 street fighter neevesey is test riding at the moment.

Reply to this Topic
BlackPrince

Feb 09

BlackPrince says:

Class warfare

Ducatis are "aspirational" and "look at me?" SERIOUSLY?! Most people thought my black Monster looked old-fashioned and sh!t and that my black Multistrada looked ugly too (which it admittedly was). Do you think the average person, gives 2 $h!ts about if you own a Ducati or not? If you own a Porsche or Ferrari yes but a Ducati? Further, do you think the average person or even the average car enthusiast for example, can even tell the difference between say a GSXR1000 and a brand new Ducati Panigale? I've had friends think that a all-red Kawasaki Ninja 250 is a Ducati! Why do bikers indulge in this class warfare when the approx £5k diff b/w a Jap bike and an Italian bike is about the same between a Focus and a Mondeo? Or a base poverty-spec Mondeo and a fully-loaded one? I should have mentioned in my comment before that I'd love to own ALL bikes at some point, especially those with different engine configurations. I've never owned an I4 Jap bike but I'd love to own one someday and im sure I will. Am I biased towards all GSXR owners as chavvy tw@ts? Of course not that'd be ridiculous. Are there GSXR owners who fit that bill? Yes of course, just as there are Ducati owners who think they own a frickin Ferrari and act accordingly, wearing Ducati leathers to cruise slowly down to the cafe as they look down their nose at Japbike owners. I love how a question about owning a Ducati becomes an attack on Ducati owners!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices