Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Should I force pillion to wear proper gear? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Should I force pillion to wear proper gear?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Should I force pillion to wear proper gear?

I recently passed my test and took a pillion for the first time last weekend. It went well, she liked it, but I was in a dilemma about her gear. She had ordinary jeans, a fashion leather jacket, trainers and my winter gloves. I had a full race suit. I thought about refusing her a go until she borrowed proper kit, but...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 September 2012 18:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Buy

her a pair of leathers you tight git, she'll look even fitter and be a whole lot safer.

Reply to this Topic
Outlaw2012

Sep 12

Outlaw2012 says:

It is no differen that asking someone to wear a sealtbelt while in your car. You are in control of that  Bike and therefore her life is in your hands and should ask her to dress with that in mind.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

If You read this question....

I think you will find, Yet again, that it is not a real question, a fit Bird with a fashion jacket would not wear "ordinary Jeans" As for not wearing a Helmet, well that's the real crime not to mention the protest that would come from wearing your old musty winter gloves.

Reply to this Topic
Harry44

Jun 07

Harry44 says:

You tell her she's beautiful and you want to keep her that way.

And don't forget to check dhe is wearing the correct base layer.

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

yes

and no.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Nothing wrong with jeans.

But if she's going to be a regular pillion, then at least get her to get a jacket, gloves and lid. They don't have to cost a fortune.

Reply to this Topic
walter ego

Sep 02

walter ego says:

No brainer

You have all the protection ..she hasnt The often said analgy is ,with an off the average road slide is100 mtres , jeans are though to the skin in 10 Leather up , or your conscience will haunt you forever

Reply to this Topic
Krisrexter

Aug 10

Krisrexter says:

It all depends on the person everyone is different if she is a total ditz I'd probably insist if she is sensible and understands the risk let her decide and it depends on what sort of run you are going for. Personally I hadn't even got home from passing my test before I had my Sikh friend on the back with his turban but there are other people ive refused to take.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Pillion

I will always argue that it is down to personal choice for us riders.  But then we are in a position to make an informed choice whereas a lot of pillion riders have less biking experience and therefore are not in as good a position to make that choice as us.

I would prefer any pillion I take to be properly protected and, at the moment, my girlfriend alwarys gets kitted up when out with me on the bike.  If in time to come she want to make her own choices I would probably respect that.   

Reply to this Topic
Victor9098

Jan 08

Victor9098 says:

Topshop vs Tarmac

The law is clear on what you have to wear, everything else is optional and comes down to personal preferences and experience over time. You are wearing a full race suit for a reason and she is not going to be as 'fit' looking after a couple of meters of topshop versus tarmac! Over time you will have old gear you can let people borrow, right now though try and get your hands on something for her.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices