Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Should I force pillion to wear proper gear? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Should I force pillion to wear proper gear?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Should I force pillion to wear proper gear?

I recently passed my test and took a pillion for the first time last weekend. It went well, she liked it, but I was in a dilemma about her gear. She had ordinary jeans, a fashion leather jacket, trainers and my winter gloves. I had a full race suit. I thought about refusing her a go until she borrowed proper kit, but...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 September 2012 18:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fevs

Jul 11

fevs says:

DEFO WEAR SAFETY!

As said you can get the minimum spec gear for peanuts, even new! Get a cheapo skid lid and armourmed jacket and Kevlar jeans... find a second hand pair of boots (woman are far fussier than men on this count) or get her to wear a pair of thigh-high boots :-)

Steve

Reply to this Topic
ewanhind

Jun 11

ewanhind says:

Wear Safety Gear

The pillion is at least as vulnerable as the rider, potentially more so. Imagine having an off, getting up and walking away yourself, but having your pillion seriously or even fatally injured due to lack of gear. Could you live with that? Asking the question means you really know the answer - make sure any pillion is wearing protective gear. It doesn't have to be expensive. Other than a lid, which should be new, the rest of the kit can be found second hand on eBay or bike forums for not very much. You'll enjoy the ride much more, and so will she, knowing that she's safer. And if she's that fit, she's worth the investment!

Reply to this Topic
gs750suzi

Jul 07

gs750suzi says:

right gear

to be honest, ive been riding since the early 70s. and i think all the law changes have help to keep me a live as well as some luck,  first helmet law came in to force, the bought a suzi invader on my 16th birthay only for the age to go up to 17. so had the bike in shed for 12 months lol but was out at 1min past 12 on my 17th birthday,  at this time helmets were the only thing u needed to ride, but like most people i learned the hard way,  ( that gravel rash is no good lol ) so now i never ever ride with out helmet GLOVES good jacket and boots, i must admit its rear i wear protective pants,  so for the last  38 yrs the only changes i dont like is the age u can start riding. i think all the young should do 12 months on a scooter to get road awarness. then they can have there fast cars, and bikes

Reply to this Topic
thomaslechat

Aug 12

thomaslechat says:

proper gear for pillion

Introduce her to Brittany Morrow, the road rash queen. Simply search Road Rash Queen on the internet. Let her read Brittany's story and see the pictures of Brittany's horrific injuries and your pillion will understand the need for proper gear. Brittany's website is http://www.rockthegear.com Read it yourself first. After that you'll be willing to take her shopping rather than risk her life along with your own. "Dress for the slide, enjoy the ride"

Reply to this Topic
shorty42

Sep 12

shorty42 says:

Proper Gear

It would be Daft to assume that someone could always find some proper gear, if they can, great but its expensive to tog up for what may be only 1 ride if they do not like it!!! so get them to wear the best they can for a first, gentle slow(ish) safe ride to see if they like it. after that, if they want to keep coming then make them buy or buy them some proper gear before any further adventures!! Sense Prevails!!!

Reply to this Topic
thomaslechat

Aug 12

thomaslechat says:

Brittany Morrow, the Road Rash Queen. http://www.rockthegear.org/index.php?/testimonials/view/brittany_morrow_the_roadrash_queen/

Reply to this Topic
Heppy

Aug 02

Heppy says:

NO! Forget about the proper gear,

If she's fit you should be asking her for a different ride where the only protection is rubber and worn by you?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Tits, Gary, then ride

If she's dumb enough to wear chocolate teapot protection while riding bitch behind a newly ticketed Power Ranger, she should be pretty easy to trick into it.

Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.  Pillion gear should be at least as good as yours.  The bright side is that when you bin it and she smears down the road, she'll be able to claim from you as a 3rd party.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

when i take some one on the back i wont them in as much gear as they have.

the last time i took some one on the back i gave them my bike jacket and gloves to were and she used her own helmet and had jeans and nomal boots on. i then rode home in jean, bike boot, and a hoody as well as my helmet.

if they are over 18 is there body let them make it up. if they are under 18 then put them in gear or the next best thing

Reply to this Topic
number75

Jul 12

number75 says:

Chill Out!

Take it steady, take her somewhere pretty, slip her one. Job Done

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle