Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Should I force pillion to wear proper gear? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Should I force pillion to wear proper gear?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Should I force pillion to wear proper gear?

I recently passed my test and took a pillion for the first time last weekend. It went well, she liked it, but I was in a dilemma about her gear. She had ordinary jeans, a fashion leather jacket, trainers and my winter gloves. I had a full race suit. I thought about refusing her a go until she borrowed proper kit, but...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 September 2012 18:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
leecopson2

Jul 07

leecopson2 says:

Ride according to your/her gear

The question of gear comes up a lot on this site and in the letters page. Shortly after I passed my test - in my mid-30s - and was let loose without a hi-vis jacket and a minder I swore blind I'd never ride without full protective gear, but as time goes by you gain in confidence and the problem is trying to remember that accidents can hurt.

If you, or someone whose life you are resposnible for, is riding in streetwear then dial off some risk. It's very rare that anyone - however fit - will need you to really wind on the throttle to enjoy their first pillion experience.

As regards the other aspect of your question - if you were to ask another girl about this you'd probably find that your friend's insistence has more to do with riding you than the bike anyway.

Good luck to both of you!!

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Lateral Thinking

Read the question and then imagine yourself trying to explain to anxious parents why their lovely child has been disfigured because your brain was in your trousers and you took her on your pillion. It would be bad enough if protective gear was being worn but accidents do happen and "proper" riding gear might make all the difference. Call me old fashioned if you like but anyone without the proper gear won't be coming on my pillion.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Try thinking above your own waist line for a minute, without worrying about her bearded clam getting a grip on the seat.............

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

As far as the law is concerned

Its on your neck if you spill and shes on the back. That said , the only legal requirement to ride on the back is the helmet. And jeans are better than shorts imo.

That said , stuff like her age and the fact shes consented to go on says to me its her responsibility. I think its down to the pillion to decide what to wear as soon as they can think "ohhh it might hurt if I skid down the road at 20/30/40/60/70 wearing jeans and a bike jacket made by guuchi".

She wont be looking very fit after skidding down the road , no matter the speed , so choose wisely!

Reply to this Topic
flyingpanintothefire

Aug 02

I've had a look in the sun paper and haven't come across the Dear Deirdre reply yet

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

My friend came off a throbing V Twin Hard arse a couple of times, its put her off, getting her leg over again and she's always rubbing her nasty gash.

Reply to this Topic
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

Na..

As long as you have the right gear then dont worry about your pillion. What they are wearing is not going to protect you if you come off so its their look out . She might be a fit bird but buying her all the gear she needs could cost you thousands. For that sort of money you could upgrade your bike to a Gixer and have so many birds wanting you you will have to buy a shitty stick to beat them off with.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

No gear no ride

If my pillion has no good gear they look for another rider. Simples.

Reply to this Topic
marktt04

May 10

marktt04 says:

Mcn should promote pillion and rider safety

Its interesting reading this question having only just finished reading an article in this weeks MCN about the BMW and Yamaha maxi scooters battle,and seeing in all six road test photos that Adam Child has no gloves on,and in the two shots where he is carrying a pillion,she has no gloves and plimsolls on her feet.Having worked in a major trauma centre at a local hospital and indeed the burns and plastics unit there. I can vouch that whenever some one falls of a motorcycle they generally put there hands down to contact with the ground,i have seen young men come in having on come off there scooters at 20 mph wearing no gloves,they have been missing fingers and have had serious road rash down to the bone. Safety gear is an " ESSENTIAL " item when on a motorcycle even if you are just " popping to the shops " if you get hit by another vehicle,you and your bike will travel,sometimes great distances before you stop,dont let your hands,feet or any other part of you body be the surface that is used as a brake pad. So to conclude, " YES YOU SHOULD FORCE YOUR PILLION TO WEAR THE CORRECT SAFETY GEAR,BUT LEAD BY EXAMPLE " This stuff is learnt at grass roots level,lead by example MCN and i hope i dont see Adam racing at the TT next year with no gloves on !

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

markt04

See thing is,..... Adam Child thought he would get away with it... but obviously didn't bank on somebody being interested in scooters.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices