Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Should I force pillion to wear proper gear? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Should I force pillion to wear proper gear?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Should I force pillion to wear proper gear?

I recently passed my test and took a pillion for the first time last weekend. It went well, she liked it, but I was in a dilemma about her gear. She had ordinary jeans, a fashion leather jacket, trainers and my winter gloves. I had a full race suit. I thought about refusing her a go until she borrowed proper kit, but...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 September 2012 18:27)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
billysollocks

Feb 09

Sorry, forgot to ask - does a leather gimp suit and ball gag count as correct riding apparel?

Reply to this Topic
SPIKER40

Apr 06

SPIKER40 says:

Two up

I've been biking for thirty years; and I dont think its the biggest crime to ride in jeans and jacket, when the mood takes you; just ride accordingly.

Personally, I never get all suited and booted to the full, if my pillion only has jeans etc, seems the right thing to do for me.

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

Do you trust her?

It depends how well you know the pilly. Suppose you both come off, no fault of your own, you're fine in your protective gear, she's left disabled due to having no protection other than a helmet, or even needs skin grafts as she's gone down the tarmac long enough that she doesn't have any skin left on her elbow/shoulder/hip/knee. How would you feel? Would she blame you partly for not telling her why we wear what we do and allowing her to ride pilly? Is it worth it, when you can get 2nd hand gear on fleabay for less than the price of a first date?

Reply to this Topic
SPIKER40

Apr 06

SPIKER40 says:

Trust yourself

Blimey mate (in the comment listed below) I know there is always an element of risk in anything that we do.......but c'mon, lets focus on the joy of biking rather than skin grafts, being disabled and skidding down the road.

Lets be honest if you ride within your limits, the risk is tolerable; If your not comfortable....take the car!

Keep safe, and have fun; your only here once.

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

read it again

I did say an accident that wasn't your fault. It doesn't matter how carefully you are riding, if someone else does something and hits you, you're both off. My girlfriend was driving along last week when a Royal Mail van pulled out of a sideroad into the side of her. Wasn't her fault, driving sensibly, yet had she been on the bike with a pilly, both would of been injured.

Reply to this Topic
chrisyzf

Nov 03

chrisyzf says:

Care of Duty

The pillion is in your CARE OF DUTY therefore in the eyes of the law you are ultimately responsible for their well being including riding gear.

Dont know if any one know this, if you take a pillion passenger that is pissed on the back then you as the ride are also liable to processcution, same applies to car passengers, i.e. if they can cause you not to have total control of your vehicle then should they be there

Reply to this Topic
Toomanytoys

Sep 12

Toomanytoys says:

Still a debate now

Took my girlfriend of 3 years out when we first got together, she didn't have all the gear at the time and was in similar stuff to your fit lady and a borrowed helmet.

I wear kevlar jeans, a motorcycle jacket, Sidi boots, decent gloves and a Shark helmet. I explained that to her the right gear is essential and I have the scars to prove it from a low speed crash when younger without gear.

Showed her where my armour and kelvar was in relation to scars and how blokes can blend scars women can not.

In short I helped her buy some correct gear chipped some money in, kept it at mine so if she trotted off I had the gear ready for the next fitty :P

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

SPIKER40 - is right  , you would be in a pickle if you insisted all your pillions have the correct gear . It is a balancing act  - are they to be a regular  pillion ? , how far ? , weather conditions etc. Some people are not comfortable in proper gear  ,some are   . My family who travel with me always like to wear  the correct  clothing , the only real beef  I have is motorcyclists wearing trainers &  no gloves .

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices