Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Do you use your riding modes switch? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Do you use your riding modes switch?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Do you use your riding modes switch?

If your bike has riding modes (where a switch can change the power characteristics), we'd like to know if you still use them. Or did you try the modes out when you first got the bike, but then leave them alone when you'd decided on your favourite?  pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 September 2012 18:35)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

Switch?

My bike has a lap time recording switch in place of a mode switch.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

WTF?

Now where the hell is this switch of which you speak on my Bonneville? =8-)

Reply to this Topic
micepunk

Jun 12

micepunk says:

my mate

has a r1 and rides it on the middle setting, i tell him he might as well have got a smaller bike.

really cant see the point of having a superbike and using anything other than the top setting, might as well get a different bike.

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

feelings

Mode switches were invented so shit riders could buy bikes beyond there abilities without the risk of humiliating themselves when they go out on it.

Reply to this Topic
chrisyzf

Nov 03

chrisyzf says:

Switches??????

Every bike ever manufacured has the ultimate switch its call the THROTTLE, if you need electronic aids to ride the bike on a public highway due to the power caracteristics then just may be you really need to consider the type of bike you buy.

Throttle control is not just about how fast you can go, it is about skill and dexterity, everyone should be made to ride a 1980 250cc two stroke in the wet to understand what throttle control is all about.

I know this reffers to cars, but Jackie Stewart has a very good saying "forget about electronics, you should only put the power on in a corner when you know you dont have to lift" a real test of skill

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Oh Yes

I love the comfortable round shape and the fact that you can roll it both ways or close it completely - mine has a clever little wire in it that keeps it warm in colder weather!

Reply to this Topic
Toomanytoys

Sep 12

Toomanytoys says:

Clarification...

There is only one setting on most of the stuff I have, just another thing to potentially break in the longer term

Reply to this Topic
blue200tdi

Dec 10

blue200tdi says:

"everyone should be made to ride a 1980 250cc two stroke in the wet to understand what throttle control is all about."

Oh yes, or the 500 two strokes, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing DEAD!! Damn right scary but flippin excellent at the same time! :):):)

Oh I miss the two stroke days. I still think someone should build a two stroke 750 or 1000. Anyhoo........

I use my mode switch in the rain, just laziness really. The same as the cruise control in my car. Of course I can ride in the rain but would rather let the mode switch deal with the power so I can deal with the car drivers trying to kill me on roundabouts.

Am I a wimp? Maybe. Am I a bad rider? Maybe, I've never had an accident in 27 years of riding. Not all of them using a mode switch.

I do agree that it's pointless buying a fast bike and not using full power at any time. I only use the mode switch on roundabouts when it's wet otherwise I may as well just buy a lower powered bike. Let's face it, if these mode switches save just one life, aren't they worth it?

What I do not understand is why so many riders are against them. You don't have to use them. They don't make you less of a man or less of a rider. Use them, don't use them, but just enjoy riding.

Reply to this Topic
Tetley

Aug 02

Tetley says:

riding modes switch

My riding modes switch sits on the back, and I do as she tells me.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices