Skip to content

Ask an Expert am i too slow ? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > am i too slow ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

nashy1

Apr 11

nashy1 says:

am i too slow ?

I ride a 600 cc fazer and i am first to admit that i am slow. i recently did a bikesafe course and it really improved my use of gears and cornering but the copper who i was riding with said that my problem was my overtaking, we were riding rural roads with 60 mph limits but when i came up behind cars that were doing 45-55 mph he said i i should be overtaking to "progress". I am happy just sitting back relaxing rather than constantly looking for an overtaking oppurtunity then after the overtake just to catch up with the next car and start the process again. My mates love it as im the only biker they know that has been told by the police to speed up :smile. To be honest it has put me off doing and futher training. What do you lot think,should i speed up ?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (18 September 2012 22:10)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

speed

As long as you're not holding up the traffic, or causing any other annoyance, then ride at whatever speed you want. I ride a zzr1200, and sometimes just like to go with the flow.  Do you feel safe riding faster?

Reply to this Topic
nashy1

Apr 11

nashy1 says:

speed

No i feel much safer riding to the speed limits or the flow of the traffic, as long as that is not too slow i.e 30mph in a 60 mph. but overtaking stresses me out unless i can see its 100 percent safe and easy to pass without putting myself in danger. I just dont get frustrated sat behind a car, so am happy to sit there 

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

slow

You sound sensible to me and would like to live a long time,if you have to overtake do it one vehicle at a time with no junctions about.:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

There's no real problem with going

at your own pace, indeed some days it's nice to just dawdle and take in the scenery and smells, but it is worth looking to work on getting more comfortable with passing slower moving vehicles if only to put their possibly unpredictable driving behind you where it is of less hazard to you (as in they fiddle with the radio/sweets/shavers/satnavs and so on, brake unexpectedly when they see a suitable shop/picnic stop and all those kind of things. 

Obviously if you are in fairly busy traffic it may not be worth passing, but if you gain a clear road ahead for a while to cruise along in your own manner then it's worth doing, for me I prefer to be able to roll on and off the throttle and join the corners up in a flowing, smooth manner rather than harsh braking and acceleration, with practice and a good view it's possible to flow past slower traffic with minimum disruption just by preparing to overtake, being in the right gear and at a suitable speed well before getting near the other vehicle and passing in a nice flowing path back to your side of the road ahead of them. 

As you mention cars can often be doing 40/45 mph in 60 limits (and unfortunately they often keep to that speed in the 30 limits too! :mad:) indeed I find it a bind to be stuck behind them in car and commercial vehicles with less chance to pass than on a bike.

Your bike is of a reasonable size to overtake safely with minimum disruption, you don't say what year/model of Fazer, I briefly rode a 2003 model and found it hard work, needing to be revved to get the best and I understand the newer ones were even more so, I found the Suzuki Bandit to have better spread of power and easier, but I was used to largish twin cylinder Yamaha TDM850 which has fair bit of grunt in each gear so less gearchanging again :smile

Anyway, ride your own ride, but keep yourself open to new ideas and information on riding and decide for yourself :smile hope that's some use.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Part of it

is simply getting miles in; training can help draw your attention to things, but it's only with time on the road that you get to put them into practice.

It's probably better to be a tad slow than a tad fast - enough people end up as statistics by being a bit fast and bottling it.

As for overtaking, it's a matter of fine judgement - what you stand to gain time-wise, traffic levels, the road layout, and knowledge of the road play a part. If you overtake a car and get caught behind 3 others, its pointless. If on the other hand its a clear road it might be.

That said, it can be handy having a car in front - by monitoring their behaviour it can give clues to any hazards that you might not see; this can be useful on unfamiliar roads.

To be honest, I must admit I can't always be arsed overtaking either - my pet hate is them tossers in Audis / BMWs who take offence to being overtaken and try to make life difficult (speeding up, or block you as you try to go past).

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

I see

a lot more dodgy overtaking, from folk who'd probably be better off going with the flow, than good overtaking (two wheels or four).  On the whole bikers might get a better press if the bad overtakes were dialled out.

There's nothing wrong with sitting back and relaxing, but it can mean you've more potential hazards to deal with (being rear ended, staying out of the way of impatient cars making dodgy overtakes on you) and a more restricted view front and rear.

However, with more advanced training (RoSPA or IAM) you may find that safe clean overtakes present themselves much more often than you'd think.  Riding the open road between clumps of traffic can be more enjoyable and lower stress than staying in the train - no need to charge straight up to the next lot.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Overtaking

The way I look at it, when I'm riding behind a car that car is a potential hazard.

Granted the overtaking is more dangerous than sitting there, but when you're past you're free to ride with less stress.

Unless you overtook on a very busy road in that case - whats the point?

Reply to this Topic
tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

+1

Why are you happy sitting behind another (slower) vehicle that might suddenly do something totally unpredictable? If you're relying on the vehicle in front making all the decisions and dictating your speed then maybe your mind isn't focussed on riding your bike safely. You should overtake (safely) and then you've got a much better view ahead and make your own decisions, rather than just watching someone else's bumper.

Reply to this Topic
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

no you are perfectly fine

on the road usually you have right on one overtaking mistake and we all know how it ends do we?

Try some track days if you feel some urge for going faster :smile

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

One of the problems

of going 40-45 in a 60 limit is that alough you may have all the time in the world there are others that may need to make progress.

You often find that the 40-45 ers end up grouped & have no intention of overtaking which is all well & good except that they drive so cloe to the vehicle in front that anyone who wants to pass has to overtake up to 10 cars at once or be stuck at the back of a queue for miles. Thie causes people to take chances.

It you want to do 40-45 then do so but leave room so others can pass 1 vehicle at a time.

Remember, when being trained your trainer has to assess you driving/riding skills in all the legal conditions so needs to see you are safe 'making progress' which will include doing the limit if safe to do so.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices