Skip to content

Ask an Expert Tyre choice questions to ask yourself Tyres

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Tyre choice questions to ask yourself

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MCN LiamM

Jul 08

MCN LiamM says:

Tyre choice questions to ask yourself

How many miles a year do I do?

What sort of riding is that?

Touring this year?

How many sets of tyres am I happy to put on the bike each year?

What have you had before?

Why are you changing from that tyre?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 September 2012 14:44)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jayninja

Sep 06

jayninja says:

Maxxis Supermax Sport on a Versys 650

Hi Liam,

I own a 2010 Kawasaki Versys currently on OEM rubber. I'm thinking about fitting a set of Maxxiss Supermax Sport tyres for the summer for a more sportier feel (I've come from a sports bike background !). What are your thoughts on sports tyres on a touring machine like the Versys - Worth a go or a waste of time ? As I said I'm after a sportier feel from the bike and mileage is less important. :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
cobuserasmus

Sep 06

cobuserasmus says:

Maxxis supermaxx Diamonds

Hi guys just fitted some maxxis ma3d supermaxx diamon touring tyres to my Rsv4r. I have tried all sorts of rubber in the past on my bikes. dunlop roadsmarts bt014 015 michelin 2cts more recently metzeler racetec k3 k2 & k1s. I do quite a few trackdays but allso commute on my bike. The racetecs was awesome but found it hard work commuting especially in the weather weve been having the last few months. I have been looking around for a while for a set of tyres that I can use on the road and then swap over for trackdays onto the sticky racetecs or even some slicks. So I bit the bullet with the maxxis diamonds to try something different. Here goes first impressions was how the bike tips into corners! Its realy amazing how the bike just banks over effortlessly. After about a mile I started getting used to the feeling and I must say scrubbing them in I was amazed at how quick you feel that the grip is there and ready to push. So I started to. Im surprised to say that I think maxxis have done a greast job with these tyres. They gave me great confidence straight away and the feel super sticky around corners. They warm up super fast!. For a hard compund tyre they feel really grippy. I will recommend them to anyone who thinks of putting some longer lasting rubber on. At £170 a pair from 2wheeljunkie you cant go wrong its the cheapest I could find them. I use the 190 55 17 12 70 17 sizes if your bike takes the 190 50 17 rear theyr £20 cheaper. So Lets see how it goes Im thinking of giving them a thrashing for a session on my next trackday to put some fast boys on slicks to shame for the fun of it :biggrin: Will stick my track tyres on for trackdays though.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bikedoctor4u

Apr 13

bikedoctor4u says:

i swear by

Michelin pilot road. good grip in the rain and dry and hard wearing, you should get about 8 to 10,000 miles out of the rear, i did on a 1200 bandit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-120-70ZR-17-180-55ZR-17-Michelin-Pilot-Road-Motorcycle-Pair-Tyres-/300890793970?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item460e7d27f2

Reply to this Topic
mjf65

Feb 03

mjf65 says:

Tyres

Managed 6k out of a pair of PR3's on the Speed Triple, good tyres but the front tyre wear was odd it flat spotted like a rear one? Changed to Metz Z8's and they are better, quicker steering and have hit 6k and are still legal, well happy.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle