You are in... Forums > General > General > Victim of the Police

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

nathanlee

Nov 10

nathanlee says:

Victim of the Police

I can't think of any other way to phrase it. I really do feel like I've been the victim of something unjust. Theft, essentially.

On my way back from renewing my CBT ready for big bike test, and having been complimented on "flawless riding" from the instructor, I was in South London heading back Central, when a copper told me to pull in to the next road. I did.

He pointed out that my chain was loose. I thought, what a nice friendly fellow motorcycle enthusiast to point that out for me. It wasn't that slack in my opinion, but I told him I'd tighten it when I got home, and thanks for pointing it out.

But, no, he'd stopped me to issued a £60 fine, 3 points, and revoked my MOT with immediate effect so I had to wait over two hours for a tow truck (told me I'd be arrested if I tried riding it), and missed a massively important meeting.

The MOT on the bike is not even two months old, and it's otherwise pristine because I look after it.

I must have been cocky, or done something else? Nope. He said my riding was absolutely fine, it was all down to the chain.

So now I'm not going to be able to do my test next week because I have to send my licence off.

Really, what's the point when you can just be done at random. I'm not a qualified MOT tester. The chain looked fine to me (I do check it). What else could I have done but get the thing MOT'd before every ride?

Maybe this biking lark ain't for me. I'm so upset by this.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 September 2012 20:39)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

chain

hi pal how did the copper check the chain? did you get any images? id be taking this further if it were me. did you get a CU20?

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

what were his original reasons for stopping you??

He couldnt have seen the chain before he pulled you over?

You should have thrown a grenade at the c*nt or shot him

ssssssssss.... bad taste i know

Reply to this Topic
nathanlee

Nov 10

nathanlee says:

Chain

He got me to hold the bike on it's side stand so the rear wheel was off the ground then pulled the chain about and spun the wheel until he got it to ride off the sprocket.

It was, in hindsight, probably a bit slack, but nothing excessive. It's a DT125 with a raised rear end, it's got to be fairly slack or it'll snap when compressed. I had to put it back on afterwards to push it on to the tow truck and it wasn't exactly an easy fit. The point is, if that was his advice, I'd have sorted it. Why issue a fine? The bike isn't a wreck, it's well looked after, but I had no idea it wasn't "correct". It had a recent MOT, and I check it regularly, but I'm obviously not a qualified tester, so what else could I have done? Do all bikers need to be well versed in exact test standards?

I don't know what a CU20 is? 

This whole thing is upset me beyond belief. I was nice to the guy (who was pleasant enough himself), and I'm not out there to ride a dangerous bike, and would have sorted any issued asap, even if it meant pushing it to a garage to get a socket set. But no, instead I get points, fines, and miss one of the most important work events of this year.

I was also told that if I take it to court, I'll be going against his "engineering knowledge" and will risk 9 points if I lose, so how's that fair? He could have just made it up for all I know, but I can't afford to contest it.

Reply to this Topic
nathanlee

Nov 10

nathanlee says:

reason

Original reason for stopping me was indeed the chain. Honestly, I know that's hard to believe, but even the guy himself said my riding was absolutely fine. We were in busy filter traffic, and he was along side looking at the chain (which has no noticeable sag, by the way), then told me to pull over as there was a problem.

Reply to this Topic
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

CU20

a CU20 is the code you would have got with your 3 points? or were the points for something else? also that is not the correct way to check chain tension(should be with your weight on the bike 1to1.5 inch free play , more for an off road type bike)

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

that

is a totally invalid method of checking chain tension. Weight should be ON not off the bike.

He should also be able to answer what is the exact tolerance for that make and model of motorcycle.

You should be easily able to challenge this ticket and get him disciplined.

The cops can stop any mechanically propelled vehicle under section 163 of the road traffic act so there's no problem there. In court his method of checking the chain could be easily challenged and also his knowledge of the correct tension will be asked and likely found to be lacking. Some bikes will say an inch and some will go as high as 2.5" so he can't say "it looked loose". Holding the motorcycle like that is also not appropriate as he's putting your back at risk. It is a good way of checking suspension, but the wrong way to check a chain.

A CU20 is a CUNT rating of 20, relating to the copper issuing the ticket.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

Get onto

the bike lawyer on here (legakl section)

I can't think any one woulkd see a chain problem from a distance.

Total twat, take this as far as you can

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Victim of the Police

1) Unless your chain was literally that bad that it was falling off the bike a Police Officer would not be able to ascetain that it is in a dangerous condition by observing you riding your machine.  

2) Under Section 67(1) of the Road Traffic Act any Officer inspecting your machine must have competed a Traffic Patrol course and also be authorised to make such inspections by the Chief Constable.  He must also be sufficiently familiar with your vehicle type/model as to be competent to examine it.

3) The method of checking the chain tension that you have described is fundamentally flawed and suggests to me that the officer was not competant and/or properly trained.

4) You did not have to agree / submit to the examination. Under the same act you have the right to defer the roadside inspection to a later date - that date being a specified 7 day period within the next 30 days.  

There is too much about this that does not sound right.  I would contest it and also write a letter of complaint to the Chief Constable of the force concerned.  I hope you took photos of your bike on the day.  These will support your case along with statements from the recovery vehicle operator and the workshop that rectified the 'fault'.  You might also want to ask that, if the chain was that bad that the officer could see it from another moving vehicle then why was it that he practically had to force the chain off your sprocket to justify his case.      

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

So

that copper has more "engineering knowledge" than an MoT tester / mechanic??

As stated, that method of checking a chain is wrong anyway. The other point is a slightly loose chain is probably better than a tight one.

I've never heard of an MoT being revoked, so can't say how you stand there but the general rule is that although they go on a 12-month basis, it ONLY proves that the machine was roadworthy at time of test (and not evidence of continual road-worthiness). I will say though, that if your chain was looking tired but OK at MoT, then it would probably go down as an "advisory" (ie, its OK now, but needs doing soon).

Other people must get MoT's at that workshop too - is he going to track *every* bike that's been in there and revoke their certificates too?

ACIC on the legal page will be able to guide you more fully.

Reply to this Topic
paulderekjohnson

Feb 08

I don't get it

You say the chain wasn't that loose,then say with hindsight it was a bit slack.

Regardless of correct way to check tension or not,this guy wasn't checking the tension,he was checking to see whether it would ride off with the wheel turning,which if it did,it's either absolutely worn out,or far too slack. The difficulty is defining just how much pressure did it take him to get it to ride over the sprocket.

Technically though,if a chain can ride off the side of a sprocket easily,with very little side pressure,or with so little pressure even raising the bike on it's side stand would cause it(and yes,I've seen a few),the chain and/or sprockets are scrap.  As for the M.O.T being two month ago,it's irrelevant.

I've tested bikes one week which can only just meet the minimum legal requirement,which means I can't fail them if they meet that,but a week later,sometimes less,they wouldn't be classed as roadworthy.

An example being a slightly dodgy chain and a rear tyre at just over 1mm tread.  The guy goes out,does a burn out,screws the back tyre up and then gets pulled that afternoon.

In your case,I wouldn't know as I haven't seen the bike,and wasn't there,but if your chain was adjusted anywhere near correctly and in good condition,it shouldn't ride off easily. As I say,trying to define what lateral pressure he used.is the tricky part 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices