Skip to content

Discuss This UK third world roads General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > UK third world roads

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Marmalade2

Sep 12

Marmalade2 says:

UK third world roads

On Saturday August 11 I collected my new  GSX-R750 and on the way home got a new rear tyre fitted. On August 14 I went to collect a seat pad from someone in Westbury and on my way back along the A36 near Stapleford, Wiltshire I hit a large pot hole in the dark which resulted in a near crash, bent foot peg and a large...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 September 2012 11:15)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
5LeafClover

Jan 11

5LeafClover says:

Shirkers!

If they spent more time proactively preventing and less time "reacting to incidents" that have already occurred, the roads would be a safer place. Beyond this, sounds like they're more concerned about how they appear in the media. Why are they wasting our money trying to save face. If they had no time to repair, a simple warning sign would have been a start. Saying they haven't had time is No excuse. Sorry to hear you had to foot the bill for someone else shirking their responsibilities.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

!

Not liable? I think I'd question that further. Post on the 'Legal' forum and see what the resident lawyer thinks.

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

That's par for the course

Got same cop out letter from my councils insurer. Lived where I am for 26 years, never been an accident, but council builds enormous full width speed humps, and road narrowing. The humps so high, you literally drop off them. Buckled the rear wheel of my bike (OZ wheels on Aprilia factory) they're a scary amount to buy new (£1500 I think). Luckily managed to source one from ebay for £100. Councils are creating more problems with these crazy schemes and put humps in place on roads with enormous potholes.

I've started to think, councillors are getting back handers from the company's that manufacture traffic calming

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Oh

undoubtedly they're getting backhanders. How do you think that these expensive restaurants are in business in a recession? That's where they hold meetings.

I think that the council is liable if it did that amount of damage. I'm impressed you didn't come off.

The road quality is why I ride a dual sport bike - sometimes it's like riding off road. I've stopped going to my local BMW dealer as the route is so bad my suspension bottoms out.... on a semi off road bike... and knackers my back.

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

european convention on human rights, right to life

i think the only way to go, is using the right to life rule, if you can prove that the state of the roads could be a factor in someones death then we might get better roads, i think it could even include road design.

Reply to this Topic
mattiboy

Oct 05

mattiboy says:

At the risk of playing devil's advocate these things can only be rectified once they have occurred, and these things can go from nothing to a big hole in a surprisingly short space of time. While the Highway Agency's ASC (Asset Support Contractor) has a duty to monitor the condition of the network there will invariably be some time lag between a fault occurring and the ASC spotting this. That said, there are contractual turn around times on these things. It's difficult to tell from the photo (and I can't remember the specifics) but if it were a 'cat 1' defect, I believe that the turn around time should be no more than 7 days. My gut feeling from the photo though is that it probably isn't deep/large enough to qualify. You could chase up details of when the fault was first logged under an FOI request (it being public sector) and just make sure that it hadn't been either previously reported by the public or recorded by the ASC/HA themselves, and also if it was classed as a cat 1 defect (ad while you are at it the parameters for such a defect). If it is a cat 1 defect you could also potentially push to get someone's wrist slapped for not meeting their contractual obligations. But this all hinges on whether or not it is a cat 1 defect. Its a very grey area unfortunately. Good luck though.

Reply to this Topic
Marmalade2

Sep 12

Marmalade2 says:

Well, they are in no rush. 6 weeks tomorrow it happened and it's still there. Judging by the lack of growth it's been there for some time.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

"-these things can only be rectified once they have occurred."

True I suppose, Mattiboy, but you can see from the photo that an earlier repair was inadequate and has probably prompted further damage by allowing water between the mismatched tarmac.

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Dosen't look that big...

I ride a "semi off road" bike by your standards. The cast wheels tell me that it aint an enduro , its more of an adventure bike like the V-Strom which is what I own. A semi off road bike is an XT600 (the original) , pretty much anything with a screen is not semi off road , its adventure. The two things that make you think a bike like that is semi off road is long forks and a high seat.

Anyway , it's not the point.

That kind of pothole shouldn't have caused that. Its not deep enough or wide enough, The bend is not tight so you could have had time to slow down. On a road like that in the dark (it looks like national speed outside of town) I would normally use my high beams if no one else is there, that would have meant you would be able to see that about 10 metres back if your lights are any good and , if you are going the right speed for the road , you could have slowed down.

Anyway , what's done is done and you ain't getting anything from them. Well... Unless you go further...

Reply to this Topic
asstoot

Jan 12

asstoot says:

unlucky

Cor, that`s what I call a nasty hole! At least we can say, well done on the tyre choice, I had the 023s on the ZX6 and loved everything about them! Now on the tiger800xc. People say, why get an adventure bike if you ride mostly on tarmac. Well, if you live and ride in Bristol(very holey), Excel rims and offroad suspension go a long way...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices