Skip to content

Discuss This UK third world roads General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > UK third world roads

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Marmalade2

Sep 12

Marmalade2 says:

UK third world roads

On Saturday August 11 I collected my new  GSX-R750 and on the way home got a new rear tyre fitted. On August 14 I went to collect a seat pad from someone in Westbury and on my way back along the A36 near Stapleford, Wiltshire I hit a large pot hole in the dark which resulted in a near crash, bent foot peg and a large...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 September 2012 11:15)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

maintained to a very safe / high standard.

it almost upsets me to see mattiboy defending poor maintenance, there is no reason why our roads ( or any other thing, item or machine  ) can't be maintained to a very safe / high standard. 

Reply to this Topic
arbg92

Oct 05

arbg92 says:

I would be in touch with the council and look to claiming for the damage. Get photos and come down heavy. Did you speak to the highways about claiming. A work colleague hit a pot hole in her car damaged her alloy. Got paid out. Don't let first refusal put you off.

Reply to this Topic
mattiboy

Oct 05

mattiboy says:

Venturer

Where have I defended poor maintenance? I've simply pointed out that there will inevitably be some form of delay in a defect being spotted and then being rectified. So i'm somewhat confused by this comment. In terms of the second comment, two words, 'allocated budget'. You can't spend what you don't have..

Reply to this Topic
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

Don't give up..

The letter looks like a standard send out from the council, designed to fob you off. The fact that you could have been killed or seriously injured should count for something at least. I would continue to write to the council until a concession is made.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

May I suggest getting written, signed statements from other road users who have also been affected by this defect, getting together and taking the council to the small claims court? Any photos, documents etc. will help to strengthen your case, as will any such negative correspondence you've had. Sadly, from bitter personal experience, they will deny it, drag it out and use stalling tactics. Make a pain in the arse of yourself, that normally works. Good luck old bean! 

Reply to this Topic
Kokosun

Oct 12

Kokosun says:

I agree with (most) of the comments associated with this discussion. While I think that the general state of the roads in the UK is "OK", there are some places where it's appalling. What most annoys me about this situation is that the pothole still hasn't been fixed despite a (tax paying) member of the public pointing out that it's very dangerous. My guess is that if somebody really did have an accident as a direct result of hitting this road defect, the council would be criminally liable. After all, they have no argument in terms of not being aware of the severity of the situation.

Reply to this Topic
brmoore

Jul 10

brmoore says:

sue

just sue under the motor insurance bureu, same thing you do for an untraced driver, for example diesel on the road left by a truck, don't wait get all the money back to buy a new bike, this time though make it a honda, although at least the 750 is the best GSXR you did well there :)

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Madness

Local council put blanket 20mph limits on local roads. One road so full of potholes and speed humps, they've finally resurfaced it. They're now in the process of putting new full width humps on the newly resurfaced road. Went down it yesterday, and right in front of a new hump (so new its not as yet been painted) there's an enormous hole where the newly laid tarmac has sunk into old road works.

This one of the major problems. Utitily company's digging up roads and poorly repairing them. Everything is done as cheaply and shoddily as possible, which costs more in the long term with claims and re repairing poorly finished work.

Reply to this Topic
frugaltail

Feb 12

frugaltail says:

vote!

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/31413 sign the petition, its long overdue!

Reply to this Topic
Arrow

Aug 02

Arrow says:

Not long come back from northern Spain, the country may be on its knees if you listen to the news over here but the roads we travelled on up and down mountain were superb. As for the letter: A colleague at work had the nearside front and rear alloy wheels on his car dented from a pothole on the side of the road and received a similar letter to the one above. Not content with their rebuff he contacted his insurers with which he had legal insurance cover and got their solicitors to draw up a letter threatening legal action if their client was not reimbursed the cost of the wheels - they paid up.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle