Skip to content

Discuss This Hands-free phones ‘just as distracting’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Hands-free phones ‘just as distracting’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Hands-free phones ‘just as distracting’

Drivers making hands-free calls are just as distracted as those on handheld phones, a Which? study has shown. Meanwhile texting is far more distracting than making a call – and more so than drinking up to the legal limit, according to the research. A driving simulator gauged reaction time to hazards while researchers tried texting, making calls and drinking to the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 September 2012 16:22)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

So is......

.........Picking your nose and eating and drinking and putting on make-up, changing the CD, talking to passengers in the back, FFS, are you really telling us that the great "Which" survey is suggesting that we cannot do more than one thing at a time.

Can anyone prove unreservedly that driving and eating or changing the CD or talking has distracted someone so much whilst driving that they caused or crashed themselves?

If so, the F**king nupmties should not have been behind the wheel in the first place.

If Kids today are anything to go by, just watch them crossing the road........they walk across without a care in the world until you smash the horn on and then they stand there looking at you with the funniest, emptiest look i have ever seen. A kind of "What the fuck you doing there mate look.

Reply to this Topic
ClaretEverywhere

Oct 08

Texting

Hands-free might be just as bad as handheld phones, but the headline should have been about the 79% reduction in attention while textine. At least when drivers are talking on the phone, they still tend to look out of the goddamn windscreen! On my 10-mile journey into work, I lose count of the number of drivers who are obviously texting, with their eyes looking almost permanently down and to the right, driving on autopilot.

I don't know how this can be policed, but maybe it's time some kind of short-range phone jamming technology was made compulsary in cars. In the meantime, sound your horn at every single texting driver you see. Some of them even look up.

Reply to this Topic
Tribonnea

Aug 12

Tribonnea says:

Hands Free

Hands free should be answer only, single button touch only!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

clareteverywhere

spot on with that observation mate.....I do the same but get no response, usually. If they had nearly killed you , they would never have known. Or even cared. Time for serious driver education I feel.

Reply to this Topic
ciderdrinker

May 08

ciderdrinker says:

How would you go about reporting the twats on phones and texting? I see loads every time I'm out up here. Can you get in touch with the filth and give them the reg number? Will they even be arsed to do anything about it?

Probably not, lazy bastards.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

The telephone is a curse. Even the good old non mobile ones stop you from doing whatever it is you're doing at the time in order you answer the damn thing. You have to answer it when it rings. Someone wants to speak to me. I'm important. I must answer it. Some employers make you answer it within 3 rings or else you face disciplinary proceedings. WTF!

The mobile is even worse. Ooh a txt. I must reply instantly. If you switch the mobile off people say. I rang you but it was switched off and just got your voicemail. Yes dear I was driving, Yes dear I was having a pooh and didn't want to be disturbed.

FFS, just switch the bloody thing off. Most have an on/off button of some sort and voicemail. Use them!

As for the in car hands free kits? Ban them. How did they ever pass the the risk assessment anyway?

Reply to this Topic
Pads1982

Jun 09

Pads1982 says:

Soooooo

But taking a shit ton of blow whilst getting folatio off the missus only reduces, oh wait it's bollocks! U can always tell when filtering who had a mobile as they never leave any room

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

UTTER RUBBISH..........

..............what's the difference between talking on a hands free and talking to your mate sat in the passenger seat? Why do idiots here insist on having a war with car drivers? This "them and us" mentality belongs in the school playground,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,GROW UP!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

piroflip

I think what I've read on this is that when you talk to your mate, because they are sat in the car they get a sense of when to talk and when not to talk or something, so that the conversation has a different pace or dynamic. You're right though, there is a them and us attitude at times. I've also noticed that there are some people who seem to come across a car driver who did this, di that, nearly killed them, nearly caused an accident etc, where as I don't. I must therefore be doing something wrong!

Reply to this Topic
fredwinter

May 10

fredwinter says:

Making calls should obviously be a no no. But are "which" saying that receiving calls on a bluetooth handsfree device is the same as taking a call with one hand on the wheel? If they are it is utter rubbish.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle