Skip to content

Discuss This Honda’s 134mpg scooter New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Honda’s 134mpg scooter

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Honda’s 134mpg scooter

Honda’s latest 125 scooter will do a claimed 133.9mpg - around 50% more than the most fuel efficient petrol cars. The new SH125i has 16-inch wheels and space under the seat for a full-face helmet. The Italian-built scoot goes on sale in November.  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 September 2012 16:37)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

larf

I read that as 134mph, saw the pic and thought "Holy Sh*t!" Then read it again, disappointed . .

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

oops

I didn't mean to click on this....sorry!

Reply to this Topic
5LeafClover

Jan 11

5LeafClover says:

and MUCH less resources to make

It's not just about mpg. Bikes and scooters take much less resources to make, especially rare earth metals. Yet still we award tax breaks to the self righteous prius & leaf drivers, trashing the world in the name of "green".

Reply to this Topic
urbanfireblade

Sep 11

The Honda ANF125 Innova...

is well known as being able to achieve 160mpg in standard trim, even more by enthusiasts who tweak these Innova bikes, you won't get much less than 120mpg in normal use, thats the maximum i ever got with my Honda CG125(56-reg), 120.3mpg. I don't know what the price of this new bike is, but Honda CG's are around £300-1000 for a low miles one/2yrs old. Around £1200-1500 for the Innova 125. They're all about the same at the end of the day!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Un-selfish

A small scooter poses the least danger to others of any road legal motorized vehicle.

Maybe the Honda SH125i gets the 134mpg rating from emission tests results, but I would expect real world mileage to be nearer to 100 mpg.

Reply to this Topic
gsxr1969

Apr 04

gsxr1969 says:

5LeafClover

You absolutely hit the nail on the head. Mass of total construction materials, rare earth metals, fuel consumption, life expectancy of vehicle, tyre consumption and the total emissions for the manufacture of the vehicle (including making all the plastics etc). The Co2 emissions or just mpg argument is way too basic.

Reply to this Topic
2smoke

Jul 12

2smoke says:

Not that good...

As attractive as 134mpg sounds, I'm not that impressed. 10 years ago I was getting close to 120mpg from my old XLR125 so Honda development has been slow. We all know bike developers have mainly focused engine development around peak power and torque rather than economy, but with some of the latest cars producing decent power alongside decent economy, it's about time the bike industry started to pay attention!

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Development

Honda is definitely focusing on most of the really important but boring stuff.

Good fuel economy, low maintenance, reliability.

These are the most important factors with any vehicle which is intended for use as everyday transport.

Unfortunately Honda's maintenance schedule for their 125 machines at 2500miles is nowhere near in the same league as Piaggio's new 3v 125 engine which has 6000 mile service intervals.

The CVT (auto gearbox) in scooters causes a fairly high efficiency penalty.

Honda claims 160mpg for the CBF125 and that extra economy is almost entirely due to the transmission.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Who's going to buy it?

Car drivers have been targeted  by 2 wheeled, or 3 wheeled, alternatives in the past and they were a flop. The Gov't even introduced a monumental road tax on 4x4's. What happened? People went out and bought more 4x4's!

The UK public love prestige not common sense. They would rather sell their kids if it meant they could keep their 4x4.

UK Motorcyclists wont buy them as it must be seen as having their testicles cut off. The only marketplace is India or trendy parts of the world like Italy. Strangely that's where they are built.

If only the UK would be more Italian and embrace bikes as a legitimate form of transport. This isn't knocking the UK motorcycle population but the Gov't and the status concious, badge wearing UK public. Ditch that stupid expensive car, get the Mrs on the back of the scooter, get out and enjoy 2 wheeled fun. Put a smile on your miserable faces for a change AND save the fuel bill.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

kl595

hmmmm....I feel there are better bikes to ride two up TBH.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle