Skip to content

Discuss This Honda’s 134mpg scooter New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > Honda’s 134mpg scooter

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Honda’s 134mpg scooter

Honda’s latest 125 scooter will do a claimed 133.9mpg - around 50% more than the most fuel efficient petrol cars. The new SH125i has 16-inch wheels and space under the seat for a full-face helmet. The Italian-built scoot goes on sale in November.  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 September 2012 16:37)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Snev

Yep agreed but........if you think about a couple commuting by train to work and only using the car ( or 2 cars)  for shopping and stuff at the weekends? That's possibly £4k each for season tickets in the south east, price of the cars which could be anything from £500 to £50k upwards (each), road tax, insurance, fuel, servicing etc and the inconvenience of being stuck in traffic at weekends and parking costs. They could save a packet on costs for the sake of a bit of prestige.

It'll never happen though.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Plenty

Plenty people will buy it.

Scooters account for about half of the UKs PTW registrations and most of them are 125s.

Honda sell more 125 scooters than sportbikes.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Maintenance Schedule

@ rlf3 – While the SH125i may have 2500 mile service intervals, if it is like the Elite/Lead 110, those will be only inspections, with 5000 mile oil change intervals.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

true but...

True they are only inspections, but you also need to inspect the valve clearances which usually involves getting the tupperware off. (p.i.t.a.)

And in the UK you need to have these inspections done by a VAT registered business if you want to maintain your warranty.

Reply to this Topic
BBQdog

Jul 10

BBQdog says:

KPL

Is 47.44 kilometers per liter ....

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Honda

Have been proven in studies to sell more scoots than any manufacturer in the UK. The old cubs still sells like hot cakes in many other countries. Cheap , cheerful , easy to repair , easy to modify , cheap to run. What's not to love? Might not be the fastest thing on two wheels but as a way to get around , it is great.

This coupled with the charity in england giving scooters to students would be a match made in heaven!

Well done honda!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Would rather see

a 125cc version of the Honda Elite/Lead 110, with its 35L of under-seat storage. With the added top case and using the dual helmet hooks as shopping bag hangers, I hardly ever need to take the cage out. The 10-inch rear wheel that allows for all the space under the seat rides much better than you would think, even on gravel and dirt (mud, not so much).

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

Why

aren't the big manufacturers petitioning the government to reduce vehicle tax on these commuter bikes & scooters? 

It's wholly unjustified to have cars such as the C1/107/Aygo, Alto, Pixo and plenty others running around that are exempt from paying annual vehicle tax when most scooters and bikes up to 150cc are paying £16 a year despite getting at least twice the mpg, causing a fraction of the pollution, and using a fraction of the earth's resources to manufacture.

How about setting up an ePetition to campaign for this.  Maybe by an organisation representing manufacturers such as the MCIA to give it some clout.  100,000 signatures and it could be debated in parliament.  Couldn't be too hard to raise that number could it?

Ok, so the country's finances are in the s**t and politicians are unlikely to want to give any concessions to what many of them will see as a minority group, but it's worth a punt isn't it?

Reply to this Topic
Patsfalco

Sep 12

Patsfalco says:

Tax?

I don't think that a shake up and added complexity to vehicle tax is useful. I have a 125 scooter and it costs £16 a year to tax. Sign an e-petition? Catch yerself on!

The luggage space beneath these bikes has to be measured in person with a lid. many of these bikes can't take a full face lid, which is important for yesr-round travel. The fact that my psx125 has 14" wheels means that the storage space beneath the seat will hold a 'proper' helmet. I'd have liked the 16" wheels for ride an stability, but the PCX is OK, if a little flighty.

Obviously the mpg figure arrived at has a great many influences and variables. My pcx125, which clamis 120mpg, has only bettered 100mpg for one tankful in 5000 miles. Still, I'm having fun and getting mid-90s mpg figures.

Reply to this Topic
siltec

Aug 02

siltec says:

Open Face Lids Best

The American football style, ie full face, helmet is dangerous in town. Too hot in summer and mists up in wet and winter. Use an open face an goggles myself now, no misting in winter and cooler in summer. Also easier twisting the head to keep tabs on all around you.

If an open face with goggles was good enough for Hailwood and Agostini, then it is good enough for me.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices