You are in... Forums > General > General > Kawazaki GPZ 500

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

LearnerRider

May 12

LearnerRider says:

Kawazaki GPZ 500

Ok so I've been looking for a bike to restrict to 33bhp when I pass my A2 (hopefully before the law changes) 

I have stumbled across a 1987 kawazaki GPZ 500 with 20,000 miles (claimed) 4 owners and a full service history -and 12 months MOT for £900 quid. I just want to know has any one owned one? And well is it woth taking a plunge at was seems an amazingly well looked after bike?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 September 2012 16:51)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
denzil z9

Apr 07

denzil z9 says:

Had one

as my first "big bike" years ago and loved it. Think I would try and get the price down though

Reply to this Topic
spangle2k4

Aug 12

spangle2k4 says:

Restricts really nicely.

My wife has a 1998 GPZ restricted using £40 carb washers from eBay.

I would say that the bike restricts really nicely. The low-end power delivery is essentially unchanged and the bike pulls fantastically well low-down in the rev range. The bike takes a while to rev when restricted but does have decent pull at the top end if you want to push it (though you really don't need to).

The engine is fantastically smooth and it as happy at 8k rpm as it is at 4k rpm, it pulls good and hard from 4k up to 7k.

Within (and slightly over) the speed limit the restricted GPZ rides really well. I recommend it :-)

I'll let you make your own mind up on that price, but FWIW I think it's certainly at the high-end price-wise.

Edit: If you've only ridden a 125 you'll think it's an absolute rocket.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MadKwakaMax

Mar 06

MadKwakaMax says:

great first bike

I've never had a restricted one ,but if it's done properly should be fine .

Price is  high for a 1987 .Even without a high milage .

check for after market exhaust ,the original is sure to have rotted/be rotting by now ,rear bearings are in good shape and ignition is ok .If all of this is well haggle hard and you'll have a good bike to ride restricted and even when de-restricted ,

Maxie x

Reply to this Topic
Samar

Aug 12

Samar says:

Great Bike

But have a look around. I got mine 1998 with 15k milegae for £850. I've had it for 6 months now and can honestly say that it is fantastic "first big" bike.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices