Skip to content

Discuss This Petition demands power restrictions for new drivers General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Petition demands power restrictions for new drivers

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Petition demands power restrictions for new drivers

A petition is calling for power restrictions for new car drivers in line with those faced by motorcyclists. The petition, posted on a government website, says drivers should face similar measures in the interests of equality and road safety. Riders are currently restricted to 33bhp for two years after passing the standard bike test. New rules from next year will limit...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 September 2012 17:23)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Only problem with this

is that it generates a further explosion in public sector jobs to administrate it all. Would prefer to see either consolidation of the exiting rules or a rationalisation. Only when there's consistency will the market and take up of motorcycling be able to get a handle on it and react in a positive manner.

Reply to this Topic
ewanhind

Jun 11

ewanhind says:

If there were a lot of young people crashing high powered cars that they're driving legally it might make sense. As it is, most young people drive low powered cars due to the cost of insurance, and still manage to crash them! Most crashes by young people in high powered cars are in cars they are not driving legally, so a change in law wouldn't make a difference. The number of young people who can afford to drive high powered cars is so small, relative to the population size, that legislating seems rather unnecessary. In the UK, our insurance system means that market forces do the same job!

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Petition.

Using the same flawed logic as this petition you could ask all car drivers to wear helmets. Silly ideas.

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

lol

This is so dumb, my 125 was more unsafe than my ZX6R because I had to rag that bike so hard to get the speed up and it was so light it blew around in the wind and the tyres are tiny. Most the time I lacked power going up a hill and kept getting overtaken by car drivers which is more dangerous than having the speed to stay infront. Since having my ZX6R I've felt safer, feel like I have way more grip, the wind doesn't blow the bike all around the road and I have the power to go against the wind or up a hill lol. I don't understand how restricting young bikers is a good idea, most people who crash are 40 year olds who decide to get back into biking after 20 years and get a 1000cc. I can understand restricting useless people, we already have a system for this and it's called FAILING YOUR TEST!

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

lol

All this means is young people don't get into biking and that's bad for all of us because it reduces bike sales.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

JustBe.

"I don't understand how restricting young bikers is a good idea, most people who crash are 40 year olds who decide to get back into biking after 20 years and get a 1000cc."

I believe that a rider aged 24 or even 44 isn't necessarily safer than one at 19, provided they have good training, so like you I don't approve of age restrictions. However, I think you've just made that statistic up.

Reply to this Topic
Patsfalco

Sep 12

Patsfalco says:

Testing - so what?

This is as much a point about individual freedom as anything technical.

Most people drive like they were 'driving miss daisy' when doing a test, be it motorcycle or car. What they do the next day or a year afterwards is up to them. In the meantime we have laws and supervision that punishes us for breaking the rules laid down.

As others have said, I can get into serious trouble on a 125cc scooter and I can on a sportsbike. The sportsbike is more dangeropus, and has the potential to do more harm to me and others, and so attracts a higher insurance premium. I don't see alot wrong with the old system of a 125cc limit until you pass your test and then run what you can afford to. I've heard enough stories of people never having ridden a bike, getting an X7 or similar and dying that very day. So eliminate that for sure. But as for 17 year olds verses 45 years old born agains - we can't legislate for individuals, and any efforts to do so tend to negatively affect everyone else. Getting your bike and car test nowadays is excessively expensive and complex. Who here hasn't scared themselves on a bike or in a car as they were developing their skills? Some of us are luckier than others, but there's nothing like experience to encounter and then overcome those problems and develop as a driver/rider. I regard that as an acceptable risk and learning process.

Leave that petition alone, and lobby instead for the retrictions placed on bike test graduates.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices