Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

dom501

Sep 10

dom501 says:

3 Year Restricted Licence

Hi there

I'm currently looking at insurance quotes. I've passed my full UK Cat A Test and currently own a CBR600F Sport.
With having epilepsy I've been granted a 3 year restricted licence (DVLA aware), due for renewal next year. 
Trouble is I get a reasonable quote when I put Full UK licence in the box... if I change this to 3 year restricted licence it bumps my premium up by 200 quid! Are insurers allowed to discriminate? 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 September 2012 21:03)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Epilepsy.

Sorry to hear about your epilepsy, but surely you must realise that the risk of an epilepic fit whilst riding is a concern for an insurer.

Reply to this Topic
dom501

Sep 10

dom501 says:

I totally understand

But whats confusing is I've spoke to some insurance companies about this and the response that I get is that if the DVLA are aware then insurers can't discriminate anymore. But some insurers still bump premiums up.

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

3 Year Restricted Licence

Hi there,

I’ve had a word with the ABI on this. First off, it’s not discrimination, but a relevant medical factor that it is reasonable for an insurer to take into account. The issue is why different insurers take a different stance. The thing about comparison sites is that they are used by companies that are geared up to deal with standard risks and work on volume to offer good rates. If you fall outside those parameters because of a medical condition or  modifications to your bike, they don’t want to know, so the premium is loaded to put you off.

This is where a good old-school insurance broker comes in by using their contacts to find a company that can offer cover.

The professional body that represents them is the British Insurance Broker’ Association (I like them already as they use the apostrophe correctly) at www.biba.org.uk. You can ring their Find a Broker line on: 0870 950 1790 to be put through to a broker. When I 'mystery shopped' them just now I got through to Adrian Flux.

Let us know how you get on.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices