You are in... Forums > General > General > Fond memories of the Ford Cortina

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

Fond memories of the Ford Cortina

now Fifty years old. My first bike was delivered to me in the boot of one all in bits but not a piece missing!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (21 September 2012 21:51)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zmike

May 12

zmike says:

Don't cry for me Argentina

"Don't cry for my old Cortina,

The truth is I never left you"

:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
firemac

Aug 02

firemac says:

Good Fords

I've only got good memories of all my Fords:
2 Mk2's, 1 x 1600E, a Mk3 1600 GXL, a Mk 3 2000E, a 1.3 Capri (which was actually a lot better than you'd think) and an RS2000 which was a brilliant car to drive but the engineering was crap, especially the electrics.

I agree that they were a lot more fun than the modern stuff -it has zero character - a bit like my lap-top.

Better days, I reckon.......

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Had

A 3.0S Capri in 83. What a barge. But prior I'd been spoilt by a Lancia Beta Coupe, never had a car that handled like that, and the engine revved like a bike engine. Contrary to popular belief, it never suffered from Italianitis. Big mistake swopping it for a Capri, but the power of TV and Bodie and Doyle :unsure:

Reply to this Topic
Mickly

Dec 02

Mickly says:

Sorry BeeLady

I had a mk3 cortina (it wan't me that hit you though) it was custard yellow with a black vinyl roof, after years of previous use of Mini's it felt like a barge, used to oversteer like fook but loads of room in the back seat for 'courting' and like all my cars in those days I was the last owner before the scrap man, wasn't sorry to see it go.

Mickly

Reply to this Topic
dave_c

Aug 06

dave_c says:

Ford Cortina

Possibly the only car to get a mention from the Poet Laureate, John Betjeman......

I had one of the last ones, YRF 75Y, originally registered to a company in Stoke. It was a 1.6L in a nice non-metallic terracotta shade :hmmm:

Attached images:

1. img046  
  2. img062  
Reply to this Topic
bimmerman

Aug 02

bimmerman says:

FORD

Fix Or Repair Daily :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
Ride4Fun

Apr 05

Ride4Fun says:

FORD

bimmerman, contrary to your little joke, a well maintained Ford was a pretty reliable car, unlike lots of other cars of the era.  :tongue:

My dad had a thing for Cortinas...a white MK3 1600 L, a beige with brown vinyl roof MK4 2.0 GL, and then a gold with brown vinyl roof (it was the fashion) 2.0 Ghia...whoo!  They were quite a nice family car, as far as I remember, although the dreaded rot would get the better of them, but the mechanics were always good.

Once I got my licence, I got myself a black 2.0S Capri.  The brakes got upgraded with grooved Tarox discs and drums, andI fitted the engine with a Kent cam, timing pulley, K&N filter and a full Janspeed 4-2-1 manifold and exhaust system.  Still not quick enough for me, though, so I had a specially built 2.2 litre engine, coupled to a Cosworth 'box, with twin Weber side draughts and a full large bore exhaust system...that churned out about 200bhp and caused a Sierra Cosworth to blow its turbo trying to get away from me.  :lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Ride4fun

Till you got to a corner.:laugh:. The 30's I had was scary, tried braking from speed and with all the weight over the front it'd just fishtail. There were much better cars. The Lancia I had used to handle as if on rails, faster you went round a corner the more it squat down and held the road. 4 discs compared to the Capri's rear drums, and a modern economical engine rather than a 50's throwback.
Only thing the Capri had going for it was the V6 burble.

Reply to this Topic
DrFutura

Apr 07

DrFutura says:

Cortinas were crap really

but because all the bits were in the scrapyard and the new bits (points, plugs, condensors, and rotor arms usually) were dirt cheap and they were really simple to fix, they were useable. I know people had a problem with reliability, but that was if you did not do any servicing. DIY made the old heaps last.

I made the mistake of buying a Sierra. What a bag of crap that was! It was actually a step backwards in technology from the Cortina, and issued in the era of tendered components wherein component suppliers tender to produce the cheapest, crappiest, nastiest components that will do the job for the length of the warranty and no longer. Beware anyone buying a crappy Ford older than three years.

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

yip crap crap

and more crap, void bushes,cam belts cam rattling, oil burning heaps of shite.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices