You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > waiting for speeding ban

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

drbloor

Dec 11

drbloor says:

waiting for speeding ban

Hi i got zapped by a mobile camera on 23 march 2012 got the letter asking the usual i admitted it straight away so got another letter saying it was being past on to the law clerks as i was going far to fast but its been six months now and i have heard nothing does anyone know where i stand the waiting is killing me help please !!!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 September 2012 08:15)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

Statute of limitations

As far as I know, which isn't in any legal or official way, you have to be informed of a charge or court date within 6 months of notifying you of the offence.:unsure:

Fingers crossed that they have decided that it's not in the public interest to pursue the case

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

speeding

Hi there,

You need to hold your breath for a little while longer as it's not six months from the offence. I found this on the web: "Section 127 Magistrates' Court Act 1980 states that for all summary offences the information must be laid within six calendar months of the commission of the offence, except where any other Act expressly provides otherwise.

The following points need to be borne in mind:

• It is not necessary for the information to be personally received by a justice or by the clerk. It is enough that it is received by a member of his staff impliedly authorised to receive it. In R -v- Pontypridd Juvenile Court ex p B [1988] CLR 842 it was held that an information could be laid by being input into a terminal at a police station of a computer system which was linked to the Court, even though it was not printed out at the Court end until later.
  • In computing the limitation period the day on which the offence was committed is not included.
  • So long as the information is laid within six months, the issue and service of the summons and the subsequent determination may all occur outside that period.
  • Laying an information within the six months' time limit before deciding whether or not to prosecute may result in the proceedings being stayed as an abuse of process; see R -v- Brentford Magistrates' Court ex parte Wong [1981] 1 All ER 884."

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices