Skip to content

Ask an Expert best faired bikes to buy Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > best faired bikes to buy

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

peterdavies

Sep 12

peterdavies says:

best faired bikes to buy

i have recently passed my full liscense and looking for a new bike. because my bike is my only form of transport i am hopefully looking for a fully faired bike. i have been looking around but the only bike i can find under 500cc of this type is the suzuki gs500f but because they only started making the faired version of the GS in 2004 they are not that cheap and are not selling that often. 

could anyone give me any more examples of a cheap (£1000-£2000) faired bike and also do poeple think that full fairings are even worth it (considering that i will be riding in winter?) 

thanks for the help guys, much appreciated 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (23 September 2012 14:43)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

gsxf 600

cheap as chips.........dont look to bad..............cheap to insure:wink:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

As a bit

of a compromise, Fazers and the older Hornets (and some others, Bandits / SV's) are available with half-fairings. £1k-£2k will get an early-ish Fazer. If you can stretch to it, £3k will get an early ('06/'07) ER6f.

What I will say is beware: everyone drops bikes at some point, and faired bikes tend to be eye-wateringly expensive - them bits of plastic aren't cheap. Factor that in to your decision too.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Benefit of fairings

Full fairings do reduce the cold of wind-blast or the amount you get wet but not all fairings are equal. The sportier the bike the more ineffective they tend to be... (The fairing on sports bikes is designed to provide a slippery shape when you tuck behind it rather than sitting normally)

When I had a Deauville (big fairing) I traveled 40 miles into a garage where I picked up a cbf600 (un-faired) as a courtesy bike and rode it for a further 10 miles. I was freezing after the 10 miles but hadn't noticed the 40 miles... (The temperature would be about 4.5 and I was wearing a jumper plus Goretex textile with liners).

Similarly the 250R Ninja fairing was pretty useless at keeping you warm but the bike was still much warmer than a (unfaired) Moto Guzzi Brava that I test rode at about 4.5 degrees. I loved the Guzzi but have never had an unfaired bike and would be reluctant to go that way unless I only used it for short trips....

As to which bike under 500cc I would avoid making arbitrary decisions based on capacity - there really is no correlation between insurance and capacity and barely any correlation between economy and capacity... (My 800 is the most economic bike I have had - more economic than my old 250 and my 700 and my 650 and is one of the cheapest to insure)
If you have to go cheap a Yamaha Thundercat (600cc) might be tempting. Think they stopped at 2003 and I wouldn't expect any to be worth over 2000. Unlike many later 600s the fairing is a little bigger and the bike more general purpose than the things that followed it. There are a lot of other bikes with fairings that would be very good and slightly more general purpose - CB600F even high mileage ER6F should be available below 2000. SV650S is a bit more sporting as is the CBR600F.
Get yourself some quotes and look at all your costs...

Andy.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

There

are ways of keeping warm on a naked bike for all year round riding and cost very little.

As for fairings, yes they ward off the frontal wind chill factor but during windy winter days they can cause you to drift off line, as for keeping you drier depends on how often you stop during your journey.

A sports bike fairing does not protect your hands, your knees and in some instances where the fairing is designed for someone smaller it can increase the the wind chill effects felt by the larger rider.

Good hunting.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices