Skip to content

Ask an Expert Adding a named rider with non-UK license? Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Adding a named rider with non-UK license?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

OldSABiker

Nov 11

OldSABiker says:

Adding a named rider with non-UK license?

I'd appreciate any help here...

My mate and I both bought new BMW R1200GSA's in South Africa in 2009.

• Both of us had our bikes insured by BMW Motorrad Insurance.
  • Both of us did the advanced BMW offroad 3 day courses
  • Both of us have full SA Motorcycle licences (Equivalent and accepted as same as Full UK Licence)and have been riding for many years 

In July 2011 we moved to the UK permanently. I was given a full UK licence in exchange for my SA version. I then bought a new 2011 BMW R1200GSA from Vines, Caterham and have been riding in the UK since.

My mate in SA is still riding his bike and has expressed interest in coming over to the UK for a holiday during which time I plan to organise a few trips on bikes.

Another mate of mine in the UK owns a R1200GS as well and has indicated he'd be happy for my friend to use his bike when he comes to visit the UK - especially as he know the model well.

We're hitting blank brick walls though and cannot get any of the Insurance companies to even "offer" a way to assist with Insurance..... we are simply told that he has to have a full UK licence and has to be a UK resident?

Can anyone advise or perhaps assist......? 

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

1. DSCF0219  
  2. DSCF0226  
Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 September 2012 11:10)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Insurance Cover

You will not be able to add him as a named rider for the reasons that the underwriter has already stated.  What your friend needs to to is arrange his own policy.  He should be able to take out a short-term policy for the time that he is using the bike without any problem although he may have to use your UK address as a contact point.  He does not need a UK license - I arrange coverage for overseas colleagues on our company cars using foreign licenses regularly.  Usually, the only limiting factor is that an acceptable foreign license, such as one from SA or in our case Japan, will only be valid for 12 months in the UK but I expect that his trip will be considerably shorter than that.

Don't expect it to be cheap though!

Reply to this Topic
OldSABiker

Nov 11

OldSABiker says:

Insurance cover

Marcus - thanks for that info - much appreciated!
We've actually now been looking at a lot of options. It seems that we may well be able to lure a group of Saffers to come over here to ride and explore the UK, Wales and Scotland.
The biggest cost-issue (bearing in mind that the current poor exchange rate of the Rand - means you have to take a mortgage just to be able to afford it here) would be motorcycle rental here in the UK. We have now been looking at the cost implecations of shipping a container-load of bikes from SA and so far the return shipping cost for 10 bikes is only around 3000.00 quid - not bad considering the rental cost over here.
So now we'll look into Carnet's etc. and the other implecations with regard to Insurance as well....

At least you have given me a direction to look into wrt the one-person/rider cover.

Thanks for taking the time!

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Container

If you are loading the into a container make sure you cover the bikes in ACF50 or some other corrosion inhibitor.  Just because the doors on the container are closed that does not mean that the bikes are in a sealed environment and a month or so at sea could expose them to a salty atmosphere.  Also, make sure the guy that loads & straps them down knows what he's doing as ships do get tossed about a bit in bad weather.

In my 34 years as a freight forwarder I have seen my fair share of damaged cargo!  

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Cover

I forwarded your mail onto a few insurers and got this reply from Bikesure: "Your forum contributor would be correct - the best (possibly only) option open to him would be to insure it himself when he comes over on a short-term policy.

If he wants a quote, ask him to call Bikesure and quote "Tom Clay" and he will hopefully get a decent rate."

Reply to this Topic
Lall

Jul 12

Lall says:

Non UK licence Insurance

Hi Dabbsy, this is most useful for me also, I have been struggling to allow my Brother who lives in Canada ride my bike over here, and hope this short-term thing may be the way out,

great stuff this forum:smile

Lall

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices