Skip to content

Discuss This Ben Spies right to delay World Superbike return MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ben Spies right to delay World Superbike return

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ben Spies right to delay World Superbike return

Ben Spies was right to shun the opportunity to move back to World Superbikes to try and fulfil his potential in the MotoGP world championship. The Texan seemed certain to be leaving MotoGP after he announced on the eve of his home race in Laguna Seca at the end of July that he would quit Yamaha’s official factory squad. He was lining...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 September 2012 12:31)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Milkybars

Feb 11

Milkybars says:

Oh how the Brits

have dreamed and dreamed to put down the man who came to the WSBK world and smashed and slashed and wreaked havoc at the only place Brits seem to make their name. In his Rookie year he slaughtered all Brits, with his new Yamaha bike and with no knowledge of the tracks. He had to put this Wanda Sykes teammate Brit on his back and carried him off the battle field, for he too got slaughtered by his sword. He bled out and has never recovered to this day.

Because of his masterful riding he unseated the Slowesland knight, a highly capable and touted Brit from his saddle in Motogp. In one fell swoop, he sent him to back to WSBK. Unfortunately, he could not ride Spies magnificent steed and apparently no one can to this day. The WSBK Champion for the mighty Yamaha is only Spies. He proceeded to win the 2010 Rookie of the year in Motogp, finishing the year 6th in the Championship with 176 points.

Next up, he got promoted to the Factory M1, beating all the Aliens at given times in qualifying, and racing. He spectacularly concluded the last race in Valencia, hunting down the 2011 crowned World Champion who had a 10 seconds lead by lap 19 of 30 laps, at lap 25 he overtook Dani and Dovi. By lap 27 of 30 the Magnificent Spies took the lead erasing 10 seconds off the mighty Stacey. It was a nail biter to the very last turn and alas, Ben did not have the power of the RCV and so he lost by a mere .015 seconds. He finished the 2011 season 5th overall with 176 points.

On an afterthought a Brit was seen celebrating as the 2011 Rookie of the year. He got that by placing 12th overall and fininshing the season with a shitty 70 points. The venue for the celebration was at a Sewerage Plant. How fitting, as his results were pure shit to be called Rookie of the year. One trophy to throw away, but not for a Brit apparently. Activated sludge was the drinks that night.

Each race below is his placement.
Gal Muchtooslow==11--8--8-- Ret--7--DNS--14--Ret--14--Ret--Ret--11--10--9--11--Ret--C--4-= 70 points

How quick we forget, anyway, the baboon man will finish 9th this year as the bikes at Ducati will be no pushover anymore and Honda will update their satellites too. The M1 satellite bikes will not have their early season dominant continuation.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

MilkyFarce

Spies is a one trick pony.   What colour is the sky on your planet ?

Reply to this Topic
COZ69

Nov 10

COZ69 says:

The only thing Spies was right to do was give up his ride to a real racer

was gona say he was a clever yank untill he signed to ride the shit pig

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

ben v cal

One statistic says it all for me :
Spies a more experienced gp rider on a factory bike this year has scored 77 points, Cal on a satellite bike has got 122.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

Ben Spies right to delay World Superbike return 

Yes he is right to delay a return to old pastures it will be very interesting to see how he fares on the junior Ducati next year like I say I think he has played the cards well here by only signing a one year extension. Assuming Suzuki return in 2014 I think that's where he wants to be.

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

milkydrawl

You forgot the ending, He lost his way became shit and quit ! Ain't that dandy yawl

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

thinking for himself

instead of letting anyone choose his ride for him,he has done it himself,a few good results on the duke next seasomn will shut the media up and any haters, i dont personaly he will beat other factory machine next season at aill but i can see him getting a podium in certain races,e.g. laguna, moto gp kills lots of riders and he is just one that has been a victim,but he now chooses to stay in and fight,i just wish casey would do the same for the sake of the sport.

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

Falling short of expectation

Spies came to europe as the next big thing, It was all laid on a plate for him. Works Yamaha ride in WSB ,and to be fair to him ,he delivered in style (against a poor field).

Next up to GP, handed one or the best satelite team rides out there and heralded as the one to watch. But did he really set the world on fire that year? or  had it been done before? i say it had (see Dovi's record for details) I was shot down in flames, no Spies in the real deal they said, will battle for the title next year...

Factory ride next (just about earned) but time to prove all that faith was deserved. But did it happen? Hardly, the win at Assen hid the truth over his poor results, fast at times yes ,but mostly disappointing.

This current term was to be the year it happened, switch to 1000cc will suit his style they shouted, no way will a tech3 bike beat him this year.......well the rest is history.

Many have been touted as the next great thing and failed and Spies is just another. He's had his one real shot at it and failed, two years on one of the best bikes in a weak field in terms of competitive machinery and gone backwards.

His past achievement on Superbikes count for nothing at this level. Most of the riders have never had to compete in the lower championships and have come straight into the highest level they can. If they fail they can drop back down to those later with alot of success.

Maybe thats the best way to do it, the pressure of expectation on Spies to win too quickly ruins a rider if he believes the hype, then finds out hes not anywhere near as good as he was told (and believed)

Time to make up the numbers as a never was, and never will be at this level ,but spin the PR wheel for all its worth.

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

2 year carrot

i think it was a good move for him to stay in Motogp, both BMW and Ducati want to sell bikes in the USAso that makes him a great asset, i'm sure BMW have half a motogp bike program running in the background and have said they would only move to motogp once they win the wsb, so Ben could have came back to motogp with BMW and i'm sure BMW would have wanted his Motogp ken. Ducati might come good in motogp next year, if not, Ben could go back to wsb on the 1199. He could always still switch back to motogp BMW. maybe Ben will get his elbows back out and that might suit the Ducati.

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

In defence of Ben Spies..

In defence of Ben Spies, who gets a right slating generally on here for being American and having a bossy mum perhaps, look at how much faster he was than Tom Sykes was at Yamaha in WSB. Now I'm not knocking Tom Sykes, a great rider and British talent, but its another measure, like it or not, of just how quick Ben Spies is.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices