Skip to content

Discuss This Good vibrations General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Good vibrations

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Jarrefan

Nov 09

Jarrefan says:

Good vibrations

After completing my DAS course and investing in a Suzuki Bandit 600 I got myself a SV1000S. The SV has mountains of torque and a top speed of around 140mph but I find it vibrates a lot more than the inline four Bandit. Is this a common thing with V-twins?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 September 2012 17:21)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bebobobob

May 10

Bebobobob says:

sv1k

in short, Yes they vibrate more but the sv is actually quite calm about it compared to some others, don't forget that the change in bars will make you initially put more weight on your arms and hands than you should, - weight on bum/legs, grip tank, arms nice and loose and a light grip on the bars helps oh and it'll do 160 if you're as light as me (probably 140 real speed thinking about it, your speedo if stock will be 10% optimistic) it is a fun sports tourer, enjoy :)

Reply to this Topic
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Vibration

I have the V-Strom 650 , your bikes smaller cousin , and it has a bit of vibration at specific points in revving , generally around the 6000 mark. This is to expected with V-Twins. Inline 4s are a lot smoother than that due to the way they fire their cylinders , V Twins are known for the distinctive shake. Just look at the V Twin harleys! They put the engines on rubber mounts on most harleys so they don't wobble the whole bike!

Reply to this Topic
jahagon

Mar 10

jahagon says:

You could experiment a bit - try attaching different bar end weights and see how that affects the vibration. Weighting the bars differently can help to cancel out some of the vibes.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Yes and no

Depends on the included angle between the cylinders.

A 90 degree V-twin (which some argue should be called an L-twin) has the potential to be almost entirely vibration free.

Any other angle, it's going to vibrate like a piece of agricultural machinery.

Reply to this Topic
ga22ers

Oct 12

ga22ers says:

you get use to it

They do vibrate you get used to it I rode an inline 4 and hated it so went back to twins on the up side there cheaper to insure and pull very well but when you hit 140 front end gose light need to keep your weight over the front

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices