You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Which bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jonnypaul5

Sep 09

jonnypaul5 says:

Which bike

Looking to trade in my hornet 600 and wanted some opinions on which bike to get,I have two in mind:- Honda vfr800 2009 or newer or the Kawasaki z1000sx,same year,thanks for the help 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 September 2012 13:30)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Which bike

The two bikes you have on your shortlist could not be more different.  There is enough information on the web about the particular virtues of each model but, as they are so different, I would suggest that you get a test ride on both of them to see which one suits you best.   

Reply to this Topic
jonnypaul5

Sep 09

jonnypaul5 says:

Which bike

Why are they different? With what I've read the z1000sx has more grunt but both good sports tourers!! Wondered more about running costs ie:- minor,major service costs and mileage intervals! Any help would be grateful rather than trolling the net at the minute! Cheers

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

different

Maybe Marcus is thinking of the naked z1000 :unsure:

The sx is more faired as the vfr800,

Try a test ride on both as suggested but i would go for the z1000.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Different

Jaffa, I'm thinking of the right bike(s)

How are they different?

* 1000cc in-line 4 vs 800cc V4

* 138 bhp vs 110 bhp

* The VFR was first released in 2003 making the model at least 12 years old whereas the Z1000 is a much more modern machine.  The Z1000 has inverted forks and radial brakes but the VFR has much more standard fare.  I could go on but you get the point.  In many ways they could not be more different.    

I agree they are both good bikes and may even both be classed as sports-tourers but they are nothing alike - either in specification or riding experience.           

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jonnypaul5

Sep 09

jonnypaul5 says:

Which bike

Cheers guys

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Agree with Marcus...

The two bikes are quite different in their riding position and quality. The VFRs are lovely beasts (I'm in love with a white one that purrs/thuds past me every two days or so when walking to the shop) beautifully finished, gorgeous sound, great lights (twin dip lights), good design and detailing (easy chain adjustment thanks to single swing arm and centre stand, large fuel tank, comfy seat) but have a riding position that's more sporty than the Z1000SX. They can be very expensive to service and are very thirsty compared to most modern bikes. Not ridden one but power wise they only(?) have 100 BHP. Not sure of the effect of that for some... Think aging super model... If you can buy one with luggage included to keep your costs down...
The Z1000SX can only be cheaper to service (since the VFR is the most expensive I have come across and the Z1000 has a simple in line 4) and is not as well finished or designed but is probably faster and more efficient.
Riding position is more touring than the VFR - Think a bigger ER6F (and that is a good thing). I would struggle to be as proud of it as the Honda though.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices