Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should you be able to ride whatever bike you want at 17? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Should you be able to ride whatever bike you want at 17?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Should you be able to ride whatever bike you want at 17?

Motorcycling licence laws are set to change yet again in January 2013 and motorcyclists starting at the age of 17 could potentially have to take three separate motorcycle tests before they're allowed to ride an unrestricted motorcycle on the road. This is what the new laws mean: Anybody under the age of 19 and at least 17 years old must pass a test and...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 September 2012 17:44)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

no

i agree with a restriction ( it should also exist for cars) i think maybe 2 years on a limited bike/ car is a benefit while still learning , i believe you only start to use what lessons teach you after you have passed but dont agree with an other test ,

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Should you be able to ride whatever bike you want at 17?

Yes..............and it's called track :wink::biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

18 in the US

In most states in the US, you can ride whatever you want at 18.  but even if you restrict people in the US to say 600s, from 18-22, that wouldn't help much, since the 600cc sport bikes are still amazingly fast.  Unless you restrict them to 250cc, but would never pass in the US.

Reply to this Topic
Ian610

Sep 12

Ian610 says:

I think the current system in use is the best way to approach it. But I would like to see new car drivers face some sort of restriction period, in line with that of motorcyclists.

Reply to this Topic
THEB455INATOR

Jan 12

I think it should be based on skill and there should be thorough testing but yes you should be able to at 17... My friend was a greatly skilled motorcyclist who jumped from a 50 to a 500... He was fine with it and had no problems with it... Sadly a month ago he was killed on his motorcycle through no fault of his own... No matter what engine size you have a motorcycle is a motorcycle and is just as unsafe as any other

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Yep definitely.

The question should be:

Are you adequately trained to ride any bike at 17?

It should be about encouragement, training, supervision. monitoring and mentoring not about age or restrictions.

The new legislation that comes in next year is just adding to confuse and bewilder youngsters from getting a bike. With that comes the death of the motorcycle industry.

We (that's not true - I mean Governments) need to make motorcycling more accessible and not restrict access to it by age and age related sentences. Get the training right, encourage kids to get onto bikes for the right reasons and help them, not restrict them. 

Reply to this Topic
NNGuzzi

Sep 12

NNGuzzi says:

So at 18, you can: 1. Drink alcohol 2. Go in the Army 3. Fight and Give your life for the Kingdom 4. Get married 5. Have and raise children 6. Smoke But, you are not trusted to ride a motorcycle. This is B.S. not freedom. My life, my choice. Simples.

Reply to this Topic
Superslug83

Aug 09

Superslug83 says:

Any bike at 17

Who at MCN put this poll together? the choices are so leading its ridiculous. Are you working for or against motorcycles. Of course its crazy to allow any 17 year old access to ANY bike they (their parents) can afford but it doesn't make the current proposals right!! Unless you want us all to vote for a skills based option. A restricted bike at 17 is fine for a couple of years ensuring real road experience is gained but once this stage is passed then there is no reason to add further restrictions. Why not stick a poll up about newly qualified car drivers being restricted as we are and see what the results are?

Reply to this Topic
bluehaze60

Jun 10

bluehaze60 says:

Allowed to ride any bike at 17

You have just got to be kidding?,can you imagine coming home from work and some loonie goes past you on a gixxer 1000 at 140 mph, & some old fart about 75 years old pulls out of a side turning &gixxer boy hits him at the side of the car ,it'd be like a war zone bits of bike, body, & old farts car in a million pieces, plod arrives at the scene to identify the biker, whose 17 still at school on gixxer 1000 .come on mcn wake up & smell the coffee

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

nah....

lets just restrict the shit out of everybody that wants a little fun in their lives, then again lets just ban all fun. Flipping heck, where are we all going? 20mph ? One Life, Live It.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices