Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Should you be able to ride whatever bike you want at 17? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Should you be able to ride whatever bike you want at 17?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Should you be able to ride whatever bike you want at 17?

Motorcycling licence laws are set to change yet again in January 2013 and motorcyclists starting at the age of 17 could potentially have to take three separate motorcycle tests before they're allowed to ride an unrestricted motorcycle on the road. This is what the new laws mean: Anybody under the age of 19 and at least 17 years old must pass a test and...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 September 2012 17:44)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

bluehaze60....

......why would someone at 17 be automatically doing 140mph?

......If you can buy a Nissan Skyline or Subaru at 17 what's the difference?

.......You can legally own a shotgun with a licence at age 10

......A riding test is the same for all so unless you are suggesting that the test is not good enough??

......Most fatallities are middle aged 40 - 50 on sports bikes due to the cost of insurance for younger people, i agree with Guzzi and Snev, Training is key.

Also, i thought we lived in a free society and not one run by the PC brigade and the thought police, Main problem with Britain in the last 15 yrs is that we seem to have produced a bunch of wankers who know whats best for you, when really they are failures in their own lives so wish to control every fucker elses.

Reply to this Topic
triskellion

Mar 09

triskellion says:

Hi

In the Isle of Man, once you pass your test you can have any bike you want but have to use an "R" (restricted) plate (same for cars), with this you are restricted to 50 mph, if you get caught speeding way over the 50 the penalties are severe and you can lose your licence and have to re take your test. I think this is a good idea as other drivers know an "R" plate is a new driver and they make allowances.

Cheers

Marc     

Reply to this Topic
paultheexscientist

Oct 07

Everyone seems to be missing the obvious, we were all restricted at 17, I know I couldn't legally ride (could never get insurance for) a fireblade at 17, regardless of ability. Car drivers can't drive whatever they want either, no 17 yo could get cover for a Ferrari, even a premiership footballer! No additional restrictions are necessary.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Here if you can ride around some cones in a parking lot without falling over, you can ride any motorcycle at 16.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Tiered testing

have a few pass levels for the test. 0-3 errors - no restriction (if you pass an additional written test about hazard avoidance, safe overtaking, motorways bla bla bla) 3-6 errors - 33bhp 6+ errors - 125cc for 2 years.

Reply to this Topic
matthewdaytona

Feb 12

Are you serious!!!

Hell no! can you imagine people at 17 riding motorbikes with unlimited power!? This is only 1 year after they ride 50cc mopeds like lunatic's!

I think the new test laws are predominantly a good thing however i also think the test doesn't really prove much. Training would be of more use.

A test to ride a 125 is stupid, however 2 tests after this is not such a bad idea. I think you shouldnt be allowed to ride a high powered motorcycle unless you have the right mind to use its power sensibly.

Are the facts stated in the article above correct? i thought the direct access was at 24 and that there was no chance of getting a direct access any earlier than that?

Any other method just isnt going to work. 24 is a perfectly respectable age to be riding a fully unrestriced bike. however a test for a 125 is just a money making exercise.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

For fuck's sake, MCN, get it right

There's no "test" at 17, just Compulsory Basic Training.  If you think that's going to change, can you please cite your source, because I've not seen any hint of it.  The last clear statement on it was after the 2010 consultation, where the DfT said we'll be retaining solo L riding.

There's no "at the age of 19, or at the end of those two years".  It's just 19, there's no requirement to have passed any test earlier, and you manage to contradict yourself in the very next paragraph.

Direct Access will now be at 24, not 25.

Don't give up the day job, eh?

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Certainly

If the training and subsequent testing is done correctly I can't see the problem. Don't think the roads will be full of 17 year-olds on superbikes either, it won't happen. As for idiots on bikes: you see examples of that particular animal at all ages, just read some of the comments on these forums for proof of that. I thought ageism was a crime anyway !!!

Reply to this Topic
slimfastjohn

Sep 12

slimfastjohn says:

£££££££

If they want more tests to ensure safer riding then I'm all for that, but are the DVLA planning on charging a full test price for each test? Surely it should be a fraction of the cost so it's no more expensive to get a full bike license than it is to get a full car license. Just looked on the Direct.gov website and it says: £15.50 off road test, £75 on road test (weekday)£88 weekend. so for a car license it would be max. £72 for practical test and if new proposals went ahead at these prices, a full unrestricted licence (without lessons) could be a minimum of £240.50, max of £281! And that's if you pass first time on all the tests! Seems a little unfair to me or have I missed something????? :(

Reply to this Topic
TH427

Sep 11

TH427 says:

Yes

If a 40 year old bloke can go do direct access and jump on a superbike without any previous experience (and could have possibly been previously banned or not have a driving license) why shouldn't a 17 year old (who may have had a years experience on a moped) be allowed to also?

It's wrong to assume a 17 year old or anyone under 24 doesn't have the same ability or isn't as sensible as an older person. I'm always seeing stories about 35 years old Mr Xxxxx  with a wife and 2 kids was caught doing speeds in access in 100mph.

Either make all age groups jump through the same loops of restriction or have everyone only complete 1 test to ride anything they want.

This strikes me as the same kind of nannying that people are fighting against from Brussels

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices